Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What to do about old gas in tank
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> What to do about old gas in tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Fire it up, drive it, don't give it a second thought.

About 40 years ago I got a 56 Hillman Californian free from a back yard in town. It had half a tank of gas in it. I put a battery in it, it started right up and ran fine. 56, no FI, just an old one bbl carb, no problem.

Fuel was different back then also....

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it currently starts and drives then don't worry about it. Go on your trip and when it gets low on gas refill it and continue enjoying the trip.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/21 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the consensus. 2 cans of seafoam to loosen up any gunk inside and then burn it on the next trip, as m much as you can before filling again.

PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the creation. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/21 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it were me,and I have been there,I would pop a couple cans of Seafoam in it,take it for one of your 20 mile drives and run the generator just to get the Seafoam mixed up and thru the system and call it good. Then take off when you are ready to go.

I have done this routine many times and have never had a problem.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good wives tales here. With the prominent one being adding something to the old gas now. That won't do anything to help the gas, nor will it help the van engine (it's efi, it won't get "plugged"). Neither will your generator since it was run monthly.
It's not great, but if it runs smooth, run it. Siphoning out is generally more of a challenge than some of the responders understand. Worst case is the engine can't pull enough timing to prevent some detonation, hence the recommendation to not run it hard.
I would not run it abnormally "hard". Layoff the big grades with the skinny pedal matted, and just burn up the old gas.
If there is any varnish in the tank, the fuel filter will catch it. If it does happen to die, it may be a plugged fuel filter, but not super likely.
If anything, maybe add some Heet or Iso to the tank, but if it was E15 gas to begin with and you're in sunny SoCal, moisture/water is not a huge issue likely.
In the future, resist the recommendations to leave your tank "full". Long explanation, but condensation in tanks is not generally an issue, especially given the age of the vehicle and the storage locale, even though it's a metal tank.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most likely 10% ethanol is what we get in socal. From what I've read 87 goes bad quicker than 91. We run all the small engines on 91 for this reason. Ethanol free is hard to find round deez here parts yep.

Booner

Boonville, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/21 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since that gas has some age to it, it may cause some engine misfires if you put the engine under some heavy load. Once you get some fresh as in the tank, misfiring shouldnt be a problem.

High octane gas is for high compression engines, which you don't have and by using it you're just wasting money. Check your owners manual for what octane they recomend and go with that. My guess is it'll be the lowest octane available at your local gas station.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just remember you're talking cali. 91 isnt really "high octane".

We can buy 110 octane at the pump at some stations. That would be silly to run in a generator. But I promise you guys gas in socal goes bad really quick. Luckily as someone mentioned above his RV is fuel injected.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

grit dog said " Siphoning out is generally more of a challenge than some of the responders understand. "
no one suggested that. Did I miss something.[emoticon]

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

grit dog said " Siphoning out is generally more of a challenge than some of the responders understand. "
no one suggested that. Did I miss something.[emoticon]

4th post said “I would siphon it out”. But siphoning is not as easy as in the old days. Can be done but not by simply sticking a plastic tube down the filler tube.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> What to do about old gas in tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.