Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What to do about old gas in tank
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> What to do about old gas in tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
DAS26miles

SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/21 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My MH 2015 Ford E450 has been sitting in my driveway since November 2019. I put Stabil in then, took it for a few short drives around 20 miles each and started it occasionally for a few minutes. Otherwise, it's just been sitting. I have run the generator religiously every month for about 30 minutes with either the AC or heat pump on to exercise it. It starts right up and runs smooth.
What can I do about the old gas as I still have another month or two before we take it out for a trip. I will be changing the oil in the next few weeks prior to the trip. Tank is still full and no room to add premium gas. Guess it's impossible to siphon the gas out. I don't want to run the generator for days to use some of it up. Any suggestions? Should I just forget it and go on the trip refilling it when needed?

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would. I personally have lost confidence with sta-bil. I would buy some seafoam. , fill tank with regular grade and take off.

Why premium gas? Unless your vehicle needs the octane rating it's not necessary. Keep exercising that generator to get some fuel additives circulating. I wouldn't overthink this too much.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd just go on the trip and refill when needed. It might be a decent idea to let it run down fairly low before the first fill-up, though I doubt it makes a lot of difference in the long run.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/21 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take it for one of your 20 mile trips and feel how it runs. While you’re on the road run the generator. The idea of putting some Seafoam or similar product is a good one.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would siphon it out and post it for free. Know anyone that can let you borrow gas cans?

Good news is it sounds like the genny uses the same tank. At least everything is still running.

Gas degrades so buying 91 for engines that sit for long periods is a great idea. Like mentioned above if you do end up running the old gas try to use it all up before adding fresh. Assuming both engines are still running strong.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's what I do, seafoam and run it, 2x a year.

I last filled my 55g tank on 1.1.21 and still running on it and its only down a 1/2 on the gauge.

I use the StarTron or Marine Sta-bil to slow down the ethanol separation.

I make it a point to run my rv every week or two for a 50 or 60 mi round trip to a place where we can park and have a view while heating up a pre-cooked meal.

In the future if possible, run it on longer trips to accumulate more miles in a shorter timeframe. Replenish your fuel more often, like every 4 monnths-6 mos. That way you are always ready to escape ! [emoticon]

I buy my long term storage gasoline from stations near marinas where the hi-test is sometimes ethanol free for longer shelf-life. The pump is always posted and you can google search station locations near you.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DAS26miles wrote:

Any suggestions? Should I just forget it and go on the trip refilling it when needed?
Just go on your trip and don't even think about it. Best thing to do is just burn it going down the road.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider taking the rig out for short drive every once in a while - should help engine, brakes, tires etc. Using your generator is a good idea - just keeping topping off the gas with new stuff and things should be OK.

Kevin

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

DAS26miles wrote:

Any suggestions? Should I just forget it and go on the trip refilling it when needed?
Just go on your trip and don't even think about it. Best thing to do is just burn it going down the road.

Yep. Just burn it off. Putting expensive high-grade fuel in anything that is made for 87 octane is nothing but a waste of money. Additives, other than Stabil? Go ahead....empty that bank account.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fire it up, drive it, don't give it a second thought.

About 40 years ago I got a 56 Hillman Californian free from a back yard in town. It had half a tank of gas in it. I put a battery in it, it started right up and ran fine. 56, no FI, just an old one bbl carb, no problem.

Edit: Forgot to mention it had been sitting untouched for 5 years

* This post was edited 03/10/21 02:29pm by BobsYourUncle *

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Currently under construction, big project! Will change this when done.
Aug 2/21 - Website nearing completion. Most pages done.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> What to do about old gas in tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.