Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What to do about old gas in tank
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> What to do about old gas in tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Bob/Olallawa

Kitsap Co, WA/Bullhead City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/21 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

grit dog said " Siphoning out is generally more of a challenge than some of the responders understand. "
no one suggested that. Did I miss something.[emoticon]

Why yes I do believe you did.

Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Just remember you're talking cali. 91 isnt really "high octane".

We can buy 110 octane at the pump at some stations. That would be silly to run in a generator. But I promise you guys gas in socal goes bad really quick. Luckily as someone mentioned above his RV is fuel injected.

The ability to buy race gas at the pump is not even in the context of the thread.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/21 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep thinking of Stan Ridgway "Just Drive She Said, Just Drive"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEgOxkCxmXI

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

DAS26miles

SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/21 12:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since it’s been bought up, how difficult is it to siphon gas out of the tank? Not that I would. Not practical!

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DAS26miles wrote:

Should I just forget it and go on the trip refilling it when needed?
YES!

I do that with 2 year old gas, even 3 year old gas in my 2007 E350-V10 motor home and done so without Stabil added into the tank 3 years earlier. Just run the tank down to 1/8 before your first fill-up.

It has never happened to me, but I suppose there is a slight risk of the engine light coming on sometime during the fuel-burn. As long as everything continues to be normal other than the engine light being on, keep driving. After your first fresh gas fill-up, disconnect the chassis battery for 5 minutes, reconnect, and you are 99.5% likely to be back to normal.

The octane rating of your fuel should be per your owners manual. For our 2007 E350-V10, I burn 87 everywhere except at high altitude when 85 is available. You want to use the lowest octane recommended per your owners manual. Contrary to popular belief, too high of octane is actually bad for your engine.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DAS26miles wrote:

Since it’s been bought up, how difficult is it to siphon gas out of the tank? Not that I would. Not practical!
Most fuel tanks now-a-days have an anti-siphon filler tube which also prevents splash-out if you accidentally left the fuel tank cap off. Mechanics disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter, hook up a tube, and have a means of running the fuel pump.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DAS26miles wrote:

Google it. There are multiple posts and videos with different approaches on how to do it.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

wopachop wrote:

Just remember you're talking cali. 91 isnt really "high octane".

We can buy 110 octane at the pump at some stations. That would be silly to run in a generator. But I promise you guys gas in socal goes bad really quick. Luckily as someone mentioned above his RV is fuel injected.

The ability to buy race gas at the pump is not even in the context of the thread.
Interesting comment. So youre taking the time to point out a topic that you feel is not helpful to the thread.

To the OP if reading this i see people telling you that high octane gas is a waste of money. Dont let that confuse you or keep you from doing a 60 second google search on gasoline degrading over time. If your RV or lawnmower is gonna sit for months and your only choice is cali ethanol gas i would highly recommend spending the extra change for 91 octane. Its about all we can do. That an adding a treatment. I use startron but looking to switch. To me high octane gas is race gas. 110 octane you can find at some socal pumps because of the large offroad community.

DAS26miles

SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/21 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will wait and burn it up on trip. Thanks

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, great idea. Especially since your generator has been loving the gas & starting.

I run the gas tank down every fall at bed time for the camper & fill the tank with non-ethanol gas. Then I run the generator for a good hour under load. Just like all the old gas powered tools I had in the past. All was well the following spring.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 4500 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> What to do about old gas in tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.