Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Used “Canadian” trucks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Used “Canadian” trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud1957 wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

ScottG wrote:

On the newer trucks, just a button on the dash changes all the readouts from Metric to SAE.

the physical speed guage doesnt change though,they have both metric and SAE on them and if its a canadian modle it will have the metric promanant and the sae in small numbers , I dont know if the US models have the opposit or just SAE. for example in my canadin f350 platinum I can switch all my readouts to SAE but that is just for the odomiter, tempature, fuel range and such like that. My spedomiter will still show me both at the same time, just the metric is more prominant.

Steve

I am not sure what you are asking exactly?

Steve

What does SAE stand for with regards to a measurement that's used in only three countries in the world?

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

spud1957 wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

ScottG wrote:

On the newer trucks, just a button on the dash changes all the readouts from Metric to SAE.

the physical speed guage doesnt change though,they have both metric and SAE on them and if its a canadian modle it will have the metric promanant and the sae in small numbers , I dont know if the US models have the opposit or just SAE. for example in my canadin f350 platinum I can switch all my readouts to SAE but that is just for the odomiter, tempature, fuel range and such like that. My spedomiter will still show me both at the same time, just the metric is more prominant.

Steve

Steve

What does SAE stand for with regards to a measurement that's used in only three countries in the world?

well, it's the Imperial system vs. metric rather than SAE

feet/gallons (of which there are two, U.S. gallons (4qts) and Imperial gallons (5qts)) /pounds. those terribly antiquated and unrelated methods used in the U.S, myanmar, liberia

vs. kg, meters, litres used by the rest of the world.

Actually it's the "consumer" side of the US hung up on the antiquated system. Thankfully most every company mfg products has switched to the metric system for hardware.

* This post was edited 03/12/21 11:11am by ktmrfs *

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

spud1957 wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Steve

Steve

Well SAE stands for Society of Automotive Engineers. An organization that has nothing to do with the measurements the US uses.

The non-metric measurement is called the Imperial System.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud1957 wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

spud1957 wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Steve

Well SAE stands for Society of Automotive Engineers. An organization that has nothing to do with the measurements the US uses.

The non-metric measurement is called the Imperial System.

Today, measuring in feet and inches is part of the Standard American English (SAE) or Imperial units of measurement, along with volumes like gallons and fluid ounces and weights like pounds. It's standard in the United States and two other countries in the world. so SAE actualy has a lot to do with it.

Steve

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Fish mojo wrote:

Is there a Maple Syrup dispenser on the Canuck models?

Mine has Molson Canadian dispenser..

Some real beer! [emoticon]

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/21 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

spud1957 wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Steve

Steve

feet/gallons (of which there are two, U.S. gallons (4qts) and Imperial gallons (5qts)) /pounds. those terribly antiquated and unrelated methods used in the U.S, myanmar, liberia

Actually it's the "consumer" side of the US hung up on the antiquated system. Thankfully most every company mfg products has switched to the metric system for hardware.

Don't know about Ford or GM, but my Rams both the 2001 and the 2016 are 100% metric.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

spud1957 wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Steve

Steve

Don't know about Ford or GM, but my Rams both the 2001 and the 2016 are 100% metric.

GM started migrating to metric in the early 80's and by the 90's was almost all metric. Only a few holdover parts were fractional. On my 95 S10 it was virtually all metric hardware.

About the only thing I've found non metric anymore are things like gallons of milk, pounds of coffee and speed limit and mileage signs, sq ft. of houses, etc.

ls1mike

Bremerton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/21 01:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2017 was a Canadian truck. I picked it up in 2019 with 27,000 miles on it, had the full factory warranty(or what was left of it). Has a normal imperial gauge set. The metric numbers are small. Only thing different about it is you can't turn the lights off unless you are in park. 37,000 miles, no issues.

All my GM stuff has been metric based fasteners for a lot of years.

Mike
2017 Chevy 3500HD 6.0 Crew Cab Long bed
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Yup, but not sure how the conversation digressed to this in the first place. Nor why it is of any significance.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ls1mike

Bremerton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/21 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at my truck today. Only shows MPH. I am sure there is a setting I cannot find. I do know the truck came from Canada because the original owner has his name, address and phone number in the owners manual, plus the dealer told me.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Used “Canadian” trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.