Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is a toad necessary with a small motor home?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Is a toad necessary with a small motor home?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an almost 30 ft C that we can take to town for groceries no problem. No toad needed for that.

The big issue is will somebody steal your campground spot while you are away? It depends on the campground if you can leave some stuff there to show it is occupied, and assuming that stuff is still there when you get back! (some campground park rangers are kind of lazy with the paper markers in the winter and Some People don't read them much [emoticon] )

We have a good place to go and stay for weeks, but would like a toad for that, because up at the lake for a swim it is hard to park the C, being full of other parked cars and trucks. It is possible with a car, but not always with the C--still no problem in town though.

Was mentioned but worth repeating, if on tour a long way from home and the C has to go in for repairs, it would be good to have the car while you are at a motel. (If renting a car is not easier)

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

melandme

Kentucky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/21 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another reason we starting towing was to haul items that were awkward in the MH. With the Wrangler, I can put kayaks on the roof rack, 2 bikes on the spare tire carrier and 7 foot fishing rods inside. It gives you more cargo space.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/21 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in the same boat as you, I have a Class A now with a Toad and have put on over 100 miles with it since I retired and would not be without a toad with a Class A. Things change as we get older so I am looking at a 22-24 ft Class C with no toad also. My thinking is this, I started looking at TC's first about the same size, most people I know or see on the road don't use a toad. However option is very costly if you have to buy a HD truck and camper and you have lest storage and FW than a small C. A small C with no toad your wife can drive, you can back up, you have all your stuff with you when you sight see. I can't remember how many times I forgot to pack something in the tow car. If you get one with the large storage bay in the rear you can store bikes/Ebikes in there for local travel. I think also levelers at this stage of the game would simplify setup also. Good luck on your choice.

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is a toad necessary with a small motor home?

No.

But it is nice to have another vehicle if something breaks.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 4500 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

We have an almost 30 ft C that we can take to town for groceries no problem. No toad needed for that.

The big issue is will somebody steal your campground spot while you are away?

Was mentioned but worth repeating, if on tour a long way from home and the C has to go in for repairs, it would be good to have the car while you are at a motel. (If renting a car is not easier)
Both of what you mentioned has happened to me. I had a Hi top van and left a sign saying this site is taken and when I returned someone removed the sign and took my site that I already paid for. With a small C and no tow it would be best to setup a small tent. 3 years age I broke down in Mt. and had to leave the MH there for 4 mos in a truck repair shop and drove home in the tow car. Finding a repair shop in the summer when everyone travels that will work on a large MH proved very difficult. I am thinking a 24 ft C would be easier to find a shop?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Is a toad necessary with a small motor home?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.