cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who is towing with a Chevy Colorado?

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend considering a TT and wants to know about towing with his Chevy Colorado.

His truck has the tow package with the bigger engine (not diesel).

Thanks,

TD
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 259FKDS.
2021 Ford F-150 3.5 ECO BOOST 4:30
5 REPLIES 5

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You are generally pretty safe if the GVWR of the trailer you are considering is no more than the factory tow rating of the truck you want to use.

So if the tow rating on the Colorado is 5000lbs look for a trailer with a GVWR of 5000lbs or less.

My logic behind this is, even though you really can't reach the truck's tow rating going by the numbers, the trailer will weigh something less than its GVWR loaded and ready to camp. Everything meets in the middle in a cloud of blissful ignorance where you and your family heads off to the campground on a Friday afternoon, have a wonderful weekend, and head back Sunday morning with nary a care in the world. It works for the hundreds of thousands of trailer owners that don't use this forum, so it should work for you.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies!
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 259FKDS.
2021 Ford F-150 3.5 ECO BOOST 4:30

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
From 2016 to 2019 my GMC Canyon (see my sig below) was able to pull my 7K TT up a long 7% grade at 70+ MPH in cruse control. In 2019/2020 GMC remapped the computer so now I pull the 7K TT up a 7% grade at only 60 MPH with cruse control failure. (I need a better fuel map). Most loaded semi's will be doing only 35 MPH on a 7% grade. I still can do 8% grade at 40 MPH (loaded commercial trucks are normally detoured around roads having an 8% grade). The posted speed limit on 8% roads is usually about 35 MPH or less.

Yes, I still recommend a GMC Canyon/Chey Colorado WITH TOW/HAUL enabled for pulling 7K TT on mountain roads. It does a great job (70-80 MPH) pulling on flat roads and has enough weight and wheel base to handle cross winds with a WDH.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing a small 18ft tt with a 2016 Colorado. No problem on trips up and down the east coast. Haven't tried western mountains but Vermont and Blue Ridge were fine.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling Robert has many miles on his Colorado. Heโ€™s on YouTube.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad