Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Heavy tongue weight - change from PP 3P?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Heavy tongue weight - change from PP 3P?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Andrewmart

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2020 SPORTSMEN® SE 301BHKSE that I tow w/ a 2015 F250 gas engine. I use a Propride 3P hitch. I went to the Cat scales today and found a hitch weight of 1220 lbs (did all 3 weight measurements). TT is 7000 lbs, so that puts me at 17.4%. I can provide the data if needed.
Should I consider changing to a lighter WDH to reduce tongue weight and get closer to 15%? Or is being over 2-3% not a big deal? Does being over weight w/ a 3P sort of offset the overage?

Considering changing because, while I love the 3P, hooking up is a chore. We've had the 3P for about 8 months and taken about 10-12 trips with it, and I still struggle with hooking up. Before the 3P we had an equalizer and I attached to the ball easily.

I only towed with the equalizer twice (on a 1/2 ton vehicle), so not sure how much of a difference switching WDH will affect the driving. We got the 3P because we had a 1/2 ton vehicle, but we ended up upgrading to the F250 after one trip. Had we gotten the F250 from the start, I doubt we would have even gotten the 3P.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your tongue weight is fine, no need to change anything. You’ll get use to hooking up the PP. It’s not as hard as people make it out to be, just need to learn the tricks.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the above. Your tongue weigh is fine. Hooking up will become easier as you get used to the hitch. I assume you have a rear view camera on your truck. If not, get a mirror that you can mount on your tailgate door and you will be able to hook up very easily. I used to hook up to mine with getting out to look only once and that was to double check the height.

Another little hint. Paint the top of the stinger and the front of the hitch opening white so you can see everything better. That alone can make hitching up easier especially if you use a rear camera view or a hitch mirror.
Hitching mirror

Here is another one. You could probably get a couple of large suction cups and mount this to the tailgate, or it could be permanently mounted to the tongue jack post with a couple of U bolts.
Another possibility
Barney

* This post was edited 03/11/21 04:45pm by BarneyS *

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your not "over" tongue weight. 15% is just an average or rule of thumb or whatever so that the trailer tows well. Within reason more tongue weight is better then less. I wouldn't try to reduce it if your truck can handle it and an F250 should be just fine with 1,220 pounds on the hitch. 20% probably wouldn't be bad with that set up.
Most people who are worried about having to much tongue weight really need to buy a bigger vehicle but are trying to just get by with the minimum they can.

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/21 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not change anything.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heavy tongue weight..I run at 14% to 15%...reduces the possibility of sway. I wouldn’t change your setup.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/21 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andrewmart wrote:

Considering changing because, while I love the 3P, hooking up is a chore.

The key is to not turn the TV steering wheel the last 5 feet. With my HA I placed a 15 foot rope from the center of the hitch receiver in a line that I wanted the "stinger" to travel over. This way by carefully backing the stinger up over the rope path I was able to hook up every time first try.

This "Hitch Helper" is also a BIG help

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Andrewmart

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the responses!

I have a backup camera, but it's an after market license plate one. I'm debating installing a tailgate handle camera vs something like the iBall (which is overkill...).

Sometimes I hitch up on first attempt, and sometimes it takes 10+ tries... I'll Google tips and videos to learn how to hitch up easier.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had a Hensley I used a mirror then later a Eye ball type camera. I had no problems hitching. Keep at it there is a learning curve to hitching.
I also used a hitch helper But once I became proficient I really did not need it

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/21 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andrewmart wrote:

Sometimes I hitch up on first attempt, and sometimes it takes 10+ tries...

Haha you got it bro! We towed with a Hensley Arrow for 20+ years, and I always told my wife, if I don't get it on the first try, figure another 30 mins to hitch up. Have not figured out why, but it seems like if you're not square it's hard to see you're not square.

Anyway, 100% worth the aggravation...we towed with a 250 (Suburban) and the Hensley made a BIG difference. Don't get rid of that 3P unless you need money out of it, the 250 PLUS the hitch is like towing from your easy chair/.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Heavy tongue weight - change from PP 3P?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.