cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mobile satellite

proracer1
Explorer
Explorer
We recently sold our Renegade motorhome & are purchasing a toyhauler. In the motorhome, we used a second receiver hooked to home Directv system for 15 years. We still have the receiver box. Can we have an SD system installed in the trailer & still use the HD receiver? Is there a better way to get satellite tv in a mobile unit?
14 REPLIES 14

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I have full DNS E and W (NY and LA).
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
JimR 1 wrote:
Are you still getting Direct TV DNS?
My service address is LA and I get those locals everywhere. No, that's not true DNS, but it works for me.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Bill.Satellite

A quick question:

Are you still getting Direct TV DNS?

They, DTV, stopped mine and a few bonus channels and any discounts I had for being an AT&T customer.

JimR

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
proracer1 wrote:
We recently sold our Renegade motorhome & are purchasing a toyhauler. In the motorhome, we used a second receiver hooked to home Directv system for 15 years. We still have the receiver box. Can we have an SD system installed in the trailer & still use the HD receiver? Is there a better way to get satellite tv in a mobile unit?

I had these people install a Eagle Dish on the roof of our 5th wheel rig. RF Mogul

It was $2000 installed here in Oregon.
You will also need a receive from the satellite company you choose.
You can pick Dish or Direct. We prefer Dish. KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've done it before, but it might finally be time. There are so many folks posting such bad information on this forum that you may have finally exhausted me. I left once and came back but now......... I don't know, maybe sign out and create a new account so I can post more bad info? Why must everyone answer a DTV question with a DISH answer? Why do so many folks post ridiculous pricing when they know it's wrong. I just don't get it and it's frustrating to have to correct all the stupid stuff before you can post the correct information.
May just sit on the sideline for awhile.
I want to apologize to the OP as I am a DTV RVer and have been for 20+ years. If you want to PM me I can give you the correct information but you will only get confused if you keep reading the responses to this thread.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Dish now has dome that can get both east AND western arcs. One dome both arcs.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winegard Pathway X2 is about $400. HD, auto align, you can choose eastern OR western arcs. Easy to use.

DISH for sure.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
The days of satellite TV are numbered with streaming taking over.
That's going to be awhile for mobile Rvers.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Direct is phasing out SD on sat 101...was supposed to already fully happen. Would not spend any $$ on Direct. A portable automatic Dish sat dish doesnโ€™t cost much and unlike Direct you can turn the service on/off as needed.

The days of satellite TV are numbered with streaming taking over.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Community Alumni
Not applicable
proracer1 wrote:
The SD system is $1800 k the HD is &4000

I think those prices are very high. A Winegard Traveler installed is about $2500.00 for DTV and or Dish TV, depending on what service you want. Antennas on Amazon are about $1600.00.

I just went through all this with DTV (hours) and finally went with Dish, if I had stayed with DTV I would have gotten a Winegard Tailgater and used my H24 receiver but only would receive SD.

I finally had to decide to change or break in the wind. I cleaned up a lot of my wiring in the MH after removing the overhead TV and moving the TV to a dedicated TV stand on the floor.

The biggest thing for me was that RG-6 was used to hook up between the old receivers and the TV, but now the connections to the TV from the receivers (DTV or Dish) is HDMI or component and that presented some challenges for me.

Good Luck
JimR

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
proracer1 wrote:
Wow. I think I'd get a portable dish and learn to aim it.

proracer1
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you want SD?

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Dish tv
If you have it in your home you can get a receiver that gets HD TV for 7 dollars per month. You can start or suspend service anytime if you don't use your rig every month. You can get a receiver with two multiple connections for multiple TV s. I think the automatic dome and receiver sell for 350 dollars. The dome can be portable or hard mounted