Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: If you are from Texas...Cybertruck can power a house
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> If you are from Texas...Cybertruck can power a house

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/21 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something for Texans to consider -- and be off grid and off Griddy and their $17,000 electricity bill.[emoticon]

Cybertruck can power a tiny house

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe a dumb question - how do you charge the truck? From work / supercharger on the way home?

And if so, that means the house is unpowered during time away from home. Factor in charging costs and premature battery wear, wonder if it's actually cheaper.

I'm all for EVs for their intended purpose - commuting. But this is stretching it.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/21 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

Maybe a dumb question - how do you charge the truck? From work / supercharger on the way home?

And if so, that means the house is unpowered during time away from home. Factor in charging costs and premature battery wear, wonder if it's actually cheaper.

I'm all for EVs for their intended purpose - commuting. But this is stretching it.

This is supposed to be a joke, but yeah, I'll play.

You get two Cybertruck, one you use for work and charge free while you are in the office.

The other is powering your home during the day.

Then when you go home, you switch truck.

Is it economical? Solar panels on roof maybe more economical, they are giving it away at $50 to $70 a month on lease.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think this is meant to be used as emergency backup power. Or for powering an RV when dry camping etc. Cool.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought you were referring to powering your house after the recent electric grid fiasco in Texas.
It would give a new meaning to a neighbor wanting to borrow your truck for the day. [emoticon]

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That "article" sure is scant on details, and I think it's reading too much into his Tweet. The tweet shows the cybertruck pulling a fifthwheel style RV and asks "Can I plug my tiny house into the Cybertruck to power it?" and Musk replied "Yes".

So it's not even clear what he's talking about, for all we know, he means that the cybertruck will supply 12VDC power to that RV.

The article later says "Tons of comments poured in, including a 240v outlet,...", but Musk didn't reply to that, even if it's true, it's likely to be an added cost option, a 6KW 240VAC inverter would probably add a few thousand dollars to the truck.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like everything from these articles, this is smoke/mirrors/slanted, and highly biased.

Curious though, how would this compare to a cheap non envirowhacked genny with a 55 gallon drum of gasoline?
Tesla, 3 or 4 hours IF you have a large enough inverter, then dead and useless, for $60,000
Cheap genny and a drum of gasoline 55 gallons, 4 gallons a day to keep the fridge (and beer) cold,,, two weeks at $500
Yep typical.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

You charge it up with electricity produced by burning lots and lots of fossil fuels, or heaven forbid, nuclear fuels.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well fellas, this concept just might work if say, each truck has a charger in the driveway, that's fed by powerlines, stepped down from high voltage lines, which in turn fed by substations, which themselves fed by a power plant. Oh wait...

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/21 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

Well fellas, this concept just might work if say, each truck has a charger in the driveway, that's fed by powerlines, stepped down from high voltage lines, which in turn fed by substations, which themselves fed by a power plant. Oh wait...

Dreading the day you have to compete to reserve a boondocking spot in the Bridger National Forest with 3000 watts of solar at 100 VDC installed for ONLY $300 a day, just so Kali types can see something outside Orange county.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> If you are from Texas...Cybertruck can power a house
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.