Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: If you are from Texas...Cybertruck can power a house
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> If you are from Texas...Cybertruck can power a house

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do run my home on under 4 kwh per day. It is a bit of a swindle, as space heating and water heating are hidden in the Condo fees.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn’t make it past page 2 of this , common themed, unicorn farts and dreams thread.
But for those lost in the fray here, let me bring you back to reality.
Want to have power for days for the occasional power outage? I have this ingenious solution....maybe you’ve heard of it before. It’s called a generator.
It’s a pretty nifty device. Doesn’t cost the better part of $100k. Doesn’t take up a whole parking space AND it makes electricity!
Bought a used 6kw when we moved up to the land of trees that apparently the power companies aren’t allowed to clear away from power lines. (Most states value their power more than their trees and keep the hazards away from their power lines....but I digress)
Gave $400 for this magic electricity maker. Got a deal, should have been $600 or $700 probably. In 10 years I’ve changed the oil a few times. That costs like $2 a year and used it to power the critical circuits in the house a few times each year.
Uses, idk, about 10 gal of gas per 24 hours if you run it 24-7 or average 5-7 gal to keep everything running during waking hours. So gas has cost maybe $50-60 per year and our power is basically guaranteed to go out a few times. (Tree lives matter here, remember).
So here I am about 10 years into this venture. Costs me around $100 a year to have this convenience, or necessity as some might say or need.

AND, wait for it, this secret method of making electricity is actually achievable or affordable to most people, unlike purchasing the hypothetical Cyber truck!

Maybe I’m just dumb because I haven’t bought a Tesla to use during wind storms?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

I didn’t make it past page 2 of this , common themed, unicorn farts and dreams thread.
But for those lost in the fray here, let me bring you back to reality.
Want to have power for days for the occasional power outage? I have this ingenious solution....maybe you’ve heard of it before. It’s called a generator.
It’s a pretty nifty device. Doesn’t cost the better part of $100k. Doesn’t take up a whole parking space AND it makes electricity!
Bought a used 6kw when we moved up to the land of trees that apparently the power companies aren’t allowed to clear away from power lines. (Most states value their power more than their trees and keep the hazards away from their power lines....but I digress)
Gave $400 for this magic electricity maker. Got a deal, should have been $600 or $700 probably. In 10 years I’ve changed the oil a few times. That costs like $2 a year and used it to power the critical circuits in the house a few times each year.
Uses, idk, about 10 gal of gas per 24 hours if you run it 24-7 or average 5-7 gal to keep everything running during waking hours. So gas has cost maybe $50-60 per year and our power is basically guaranteed to go out a few times. (Tree lives matter here, remember).
So here I am about 10 years into this venture. Costs me around $100 a year to have this convenience, or necessity as some might say or need.

AND, wait for it, this secret method of making electricity is actually achievable or affordable to most people, unlike purchasing the hypothetical Cyber truck!

Good advice,
I have solar panel on my TC,deep cycle batt, and fridge to store food in case of emergency.
And Espar diesel heater to keep warm
Never had to use it yet,longest power outage was about half n hour when strong wind blew someone roof away.

Also my house stove/fireplace uses natural gas and runs without electricity.
Come to think of it in fifty years livin in Canada we never had any serious natural disasters.

Somethin to think about
https://youtu.be/2DH4v6FnbvM

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/21 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sounds like a great plan. Send a few hundred of them to Texas. O yea, I forgot they are not in production yet.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/21 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxHpz9d8lYU

Ten BEV's within a year

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are truly interested in such things, here is an article about the "electric truck" proposed to be built at the former GM car plant in Lordstown Ohio. No bright and shining star here!

Lordstown Endurance truck

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

If you are truly interested in such things, here is an article about the "electric truck" proposed to be built at the former GM car plant in Lordstown Ohio. No bright and shining star here!

Lordstown Endurance truck

Ugh. I wonder if it will be another Nikola.

I think the race to production will be won by Rivian followed by TESLA...or maybe ford.

Time will tell.

Jmho.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

And in the spirit of bipartisanship, we will agree.[emoticon]

Anyone here suggested to buy a Cybertruck for the mere purpose of powering your house?

Anyone used your generator to commute to and from work? Or anyone planning to buy a generator to be you trailer puller?

Anyone familiar with the joy and comfort of not having to buy gas ever or the inner peace that comes with knowing your money is not funding the terrorists killing our own soldiers?

Anyone dreaming of your generator giving you that kidney busting (using @Reisender words, mine is slamed-on-seat) 0-60 acceleration in 2.9 seconds?

I might even off load my dead-weight generator on my RV finding out this Cybertruck feature.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1,

I did consider a short range electric car. I was going to add a rack on the back and carry my Kipor 2800 watt generator on it. A home made hybrid, if you will.

I did add a manual transfer switch to my home. It had the ability to power six circuits. I had a few occasions to use it, and I was pleasantly surprized at how many items I could run, powered by the Kipor.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1,

When BEV's become more popular they may well be used for grid smoothing, just as a "power wall" can be used.

My quite modest solar farm on my class C is often used to suppliment power when I "dial down" the shore power input amperage.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> If you are from Texas...Cybertruck can power a house
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.