Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: If you are from Texas...Cybertruck can power a house
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> If you are from Texas...Cybertruck can power a house

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Yosemite Sam1,

I did consider a short range electric car. I was going to add a rack on the back and carry my Kipor 2800 watt generator on it. A home made hybrid, if you will.

I did add a manual transfer switch to my home. It had the ability to power six circuits. I had a few occasions to use it, and I was pleasantly surprized at how many items I could run, powered by the Kipor.

Will your generator charge your electric car too when in outside locations and when no power sources are available to plug it in?

If it is, it will be way cool.[emoticon]

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keeping in mind guys that with J1772 protocol no EV can be run while something like a generator is connected to a the charge port. And done 100 percent of EV’s use the J1772 protocol that kinda puts a damper on the homemade hybrid thing.

Not an expert.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Maybe I’m just dumb because I haven’t bought a Tesla to use during wind storms?

Anyone familiar with the joy and comfort of not having to buy gas ever or the inner peace that comes with knowing your money is not funding the terrorists killing our own soldiers?

Can’t make this political, but that statement is absolutely laughable if you’re generally feeling a little blue!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Yosemite Sam1,

I did consider a short range electric car. I was going to add a rack on the back and carry my Kipor 2800 watt generator on it. A home made hybrid, if you will.

I did add a manual transfer switch to my home. It had the ability to power six circuits. I had a few occasions to use it, and I was pleasantly surprized at how many items I could run, powered by the Kipor.

Will your generator charge your electric car too when in outside locations and when no power sources are available to plug it in?

If it is, it will be way cool.[emoticon]

I’m assuming his thought was not to simply make a rack to just “carry” it.....[emoticon]

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Yosemite Sam1,

When BEV's become more popular they may well be used for grid smoothing, just as a "power wall" can be used.

My quite modest solar farm on my class C is often used to suppliment power when I "dial down" the shore power input amperage.

@pianotuna @reisender

Half joke, I wonder if my Cybertruck can partly power my home, I have a modern energy-saver home, and save on utility billings (bigger savings if I'm in the $17,000 a month electricity bill Texas, lol).

Imagine coming home with the Cybertruck fully charged with free electricity from Tesla's recharging networks? I'm not that cheapskate, but I can sure try?[emoticon]

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Yosemite Sam1,

When BEV's become more popular they may well be used for grid smoothing, just as a "power wall" can be used.

My quite modest solar farm on my class C is often used to suppliment power when I "dial down" the shore power input amperage.

@pianotuna @reisender

Half joke, I wonder if my Cybertruck can partly power my home, I have a modern energy-saver home, and save on utility billings (bigger savings if I'm in the $17,000 a month electricity bill Texas, lol).

Imagine coming home with the Cybertruck fully charged with free electricity from Tesla's recharging networks? I'm not that cheapskate, but I can sure try?[emoticon]

Unfortunately electricity is not free from a Supercharger unless you were on of the early model S or Model X purchasers. They gave us something like 6000 km free when we bought though. That was right in the middle of Covid last year and unfortunately the 6 month expiry ran out before we used it all. Probably lost 20 or 30 bucks., Oh well. [emoticon]

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Yosemite Sam1,

@pianotuna @reisender

Unfortunately electricity is not free from a Supercharger unless you were on of the early model S or Model X purchasers. They gave us something like 6000 km free when we bought though. That was right in the middle of Covid last year and unfortunately the 6 month expiry ran out before we used it all. Probably lost 20 or 30 bucks., Oh well. [emoticon]

Hey, that could get me a seafood buffet and worth the cheap skating![emoticon]

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Yosemite Sam1,

@pianotuna @reisender

Hey, that could get me a seafood buffet and worth the cheap skating![emoticon]

[emoticon]

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the battery tech that GM hopes to use.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/the-sma........d/the-return-of-the-lithiummetal-battery

YS, If your employer allows free charging at work....your plan might be a "GO".

That said, in Regina, there are 37 level 2 chargers that are totally free.

I'm curious--do folks with EV's plug in each and every day? (I would be doing so because my access would be level 1.)

My consumption is about 110 kwh per month. The cost of the power is about $14. My bill is a little less than $45 per month. Talk about being penalized for conservation! Effectively, I'm paying $0.45 per kwh.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Here is the battery tech that GM hopes to use.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/the-sma........d/the-return-of-the-lithiummetal-battery

YS, If your employer allows free charging at work....your plan might be a "GO".

That said, in Regina, there are 37 level 2 chargers that are totally free.

I'm curious--do folks with EV's plug in each and every day? (I would be doing so because my access would be level 1.)

My consumption is about 110 kwh per month. The cost of the power is about $14. My bill is a little less than $45 per month. Talk about being penalized for conservation! Effectively, I'm paying $0.45 per kwh.

Wow, you are a bigger cheapskate than me.[emoticon] I pay double that just for the municipality to haul my poop, [emoticon]

I want my electricity free and I'll feel like a true environmentalist to take advantage of their freely-installed solar panels, but they say I need an electric billl of $170 a month to qualify.

Can't understand their value proposition as the offer gives those who avails a $70 monthly fixed payment.

Yeah, battery and solar panel technologies are the most interesting development in this latent age.

Imagine million-mile battery and those seeming endless re-charging life cycles.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> If you are from Texas...Cybertruck can power a house
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.