cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pullrite Super 5th VS B & W Companion

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a few days away from picking up our 2021 Dodge 5th wheel prep dually. That being said. I'm a huge fan of Pullrite hitch's. I've had 4 of them over the last 15 years. The bad part is the hitch I want/need is like out of stock everywhere from AZ to Ca. I've search the internet as well.
So I'm looking at the B & W Companion 25K and It's a nice looking hitch and has great reviews. I just really like the auto hitch locking system Pullrite has. It's a no brainer. Back into it, when it slams shut your good to go.
I don't think I want to carry around a ladder to climb over the dually fender to latch it up, drop in the pin, put on the locking clip. reverse when unhooking...etc.
Not trying to start a war here. Is it that big a deal? I'm spoiled with how the Pullrite works, but willing to switch If I have too.
2021 Dodge Ram Longhorn 4x4 Dually
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K
14 REPLIES 14

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lowest setting most likely. Set the side head supports full forward with their straight edges towards the cab.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Well I ended up buying the B & W Companion 25K. I got it from Tweetys. Love those guys.
Installing it was a little frustrating. One of the Cam lock bolt nuts locked up and it wouldn't move with a 1 inch air wrench. I ended up cutting it off with a grinder. I think the bottom of the nut threads and the top section where the carter pin go's were out of sync. Strangest thing I've ever seen.
I called them direct and got a young girl that had it going on. She knew exactly what I needed. She did admit it has happened before, so no big deal they are sending all the parts for one corner, (looking from tailgate- top right) she asked this corner specifically. No harm no foul, I get it by Monday.
Now my next problem is getting it setup in this 2021 Ram 3500 DRW. Hitch head position and angle ??? These bed rails are HIGH. I'm sure it will squat. but how much ?
I'll get it figured out.
Pic's to follow in time.
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve had a pullright and loved it. However when I went to dually long bed with puck system I bought the B&W. I really like the B&W and think it is easier hooking and unhooking. I’d say go for it.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only thing better than a B&W is two B&W's, I have the Companion, and slider Companion base, but mostly use the slider for the option if needed.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
As President of the "B&W HeavyWeight FanBoy Club" I can tell you there is nothing better out there than a good ol 100% Made in USA B&W, simply choose your flavor and you WILL be a Happy Camper.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"You didn’t buy a Dodge, they stopped building trucks in 2008"

NOT true. They were still legally Dodge thru model year 2012. 2013 they legally became RAM.

Legally they had to say Dodge one place thru 2012. My 11 and my Dad's 12 both said "DODGE" in the small sunglass tray above the center screen. My 15 now says "RAM" in that same location.

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
Small side note. You didn’t buy a Dodge, they stopped building trucks in 2008. Dodge builds small suvs and mini vans. Ram builds trucks. You bought a Ram.

I stand corrected. Hence the big "RAM" on the front hood. 🙂
Just hard to break some habits.
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I got sold on B&W when we got our new coach in '17. At that time, we had our DS with us and he being a little taller than me was the one I designated to put the in in out, unlatching of the hitch. Then we got the DRW and tho he could still reach it, was lil more difficult. Upon the advice from here, got a collapsible step that goes over the tires. When done, simply fold up and toss/rest inside box (kinda near the fuel door area). As for the hitch tho, I wouldn't go with anything else. Lots of adjustments, Made in USA, solid and once hooked/latched.....it's hooked and latched.

Member of the B&W fan club! LOL
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyp4951 wrote:
I've heard of people forgetting to pin the handle on the B&W, and it never came loose.
BTDT
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Small side note. You didn’t buy a Dodge, they stopped building trucks in 2008. Dodge builds small suvs and mini vans. Ram builds trucks. You bought a Ram.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

I used a Pullrite for many years on 3 separate 5ers..... I now use the B&W Companion..

I will say that the Pullrite was an awesome hitch ! ! BUT, the B&W is just as awesome in different ways !.. Like Jerry, I keep a little plastic step stool and a telescoping magnet pointer in a small bin in the back.... I just use the telescoping tool to grad the locking pin.. easy Peasy
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've heard of people forgetting to pin the handle on the B&W, and it never came loose.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
They sound like they work similarly. The B&W also is basically an auto hitch locking system. Open the arm, back in until the handle latches back, put the pin in and you're good to go. Then reverse to unhitch: pull the pin, open the latching arm, pull away. Tough to get much easier. An excellent hitch.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have no experience with Pullrite hitches, but understand they are of good quality! I am sure you will appreciate the quality design, and fit/finish of the 3600 B&W. It is solid, quiet, very user friendly. Well except that reach to the pin in handle! I'm kind of kidding, it is a great hitch, that you will happily overlook that small inconvenience!! I use a small step stool anyway to put other things in/out of truck bed, so no extra bother.

Jerry