Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Tire life
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tire life

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/21 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a word of warning. Not always the case, but beware of tires made in China. I have been advised by many sources that tires from this country tend to blow. In any tire, be sure your air pressure is correct and check tires at rest stops with your foot to be sure they have a degree of air in them and your hand to be sure they are not over heating.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/21 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My G614s still looked very good when the tread separated on one. That was at about 15 years. I got lucky ... no damage was done to the rv.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Endricken

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/21 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well somehow on the Driver's side both my Bridgstone Duravis 500 and Michelin XPS Rib Tires have the same 342014 Build Dates despite different installation time (same year) and dealers!

The Bridgeston Duravis looks great (its slightly heavier dead weight than the XPS Rib) and still has a lot of molded "spikes" remaining on the tire sidewall.

The Michelin XPS Rib has a little sidewall age cracking and the Tread was very black compared to the dull gray sidewall so I took it to my tire dealer for an inspection and he confirmed the little cracks were superficial and did NOT want to sell me a new tire.

So next month's tow 900 miles from AL to IA to sit once again for several months or more may prove or disprove longevity....

Also, none of my Bridgestone Duravis or XPS ribs were down more than 3 lbs pressure after 9 months sitting in storage through last summer, Fall, and this winter...

But my Dually Truck rear outside Tire I tried to air up first, the Valve core failed as soon as I put the Pressure gauge on it!

Will Infrared Temp check each wheel on every travel stop and swivel my head to the mirrors every ten minutes to keep an eye on my tires - Probably should have gotten a TST system but I don't want to fool with it now...
Wish me luck!

Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

b_pilot

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies to my post about tire life. I made a trip to Branson on the tires after making the post. The tires held up fine and did not loose any air pressure even though we went over some really bad roads. If I had had time to replace the tires, I would have but it was a spur of the moment trip. I am pretty conservative so I will replace the almost 7 year old tires before the next trip.

Endricken

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 8 year old Michelin XPS Rib and Bridgestone Duravis 500 tires survived just over 900 miles of travel on America’s Interstate Highways and you probably realize those aren’t always the smoothest roads especially when KY warned of a Rough Road!
Maybe real infrastructure investment will improve things...

DReisinger

Jensen Beach, Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to pull my back left tire from my 5th wheel, bad valve stem, and noticed more wear on inside of tire. Can they be aligned or is rotation the only thing I can do?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there a possible reason for the inside wear on just this tire. Maybe repeated back-in, such as your driveway? Maybe run underinflated due to valve stem issues? How old/how many appx miles?

To answer question, yes the axle could be brought into alignment. A big rig truck/trailer shop a good place to inquire. Normally the tires would be wore out/aged out, before worrying about rotation.

Jerry

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DReisinger wrote:

I had to pull my back left tire from my 5th wheel, bad valve stem, and noticed more wear on inside of tire. Can they be aligned or is rotation the only thing I can do?

I'm pretty sure you can not align trailer tires, only balance. You should also have metal stems, so have those changed if you want to do something preventative. Both of my trailers have metal valve stems.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailer axles can definitely be out of line. That would cause a wheel to scrub, and wear unevenly.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If just the inside edge is worn, check the other side of the trailer. It may be an over loaded axle. Get your trailer weighed and see what your weights are.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tire life
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.