Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought a new coach & what about address

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Need your help guys,

I Just sold our home and living in our Coach 4 miles away in the same city. I pick up our new coach in May. What do I do for an address living in a motorhome in a motorhome park? I never thought of the titling side of things and need to figure it out by May.

Have you guys had to deal with this?
19 REPLIES 19

gonesouth
Explorer
Explorer
Take the advice in the link to "Domicile State" with a grain of salt. The writer is inclined to take the rules for one state and assume they apply everywhere in the world. This stuff is very spwfic to where you currently live, where you are trying to count as a resident, and where you physically spend your time after the move. be very,very careful if there is a substantial amount of money involved.

I once registered a motorhome in North Carolina based on the idea that Mayberry Campground in MT. Airy NC was going to host it in the winter for me while I went back to Nova Scotia. NC uses the place where the motorhome lives as the deciding item for registering in NC. That was in 2008 and with all the talk about people's 401C's becoming 001c's when someone knocked on our door in the campground in Florida and offered cash we took it
Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mondooker wrote:
I don’t believe a P.O Box can be used for a title and license plate?
Just for mailing. List anyone you know as a street address but mail it to the Box.
That is how mine works but I also have a local home address.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
For now I'd use the campground's address. That may change in the future but for now that's exactly what it is....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
My situation has nothing to do with better tax implications. Mine is a simple matter of “I’ve lived in NC for years, sold my home and living in an RV park right down the road”. The RV park does allow mail delivery btw. My coach is up for a new license tag in May. What address do I use? I sent an email to the DMV a week ago asking this question but nothing so far.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mondooker wrote:
Hi Dennis, I went to the North Carolina DMV website and ask them the question. That was on the 15th and nothing yet. Like you, I have no desire to be looking over my shoulder about the state coming after me. I’ll let everyone know what I find out.

While I know you intend to continue to stay in NC, here is some interesting reading for you. Be sure to pay attention to "Proving Your State of Domicile"...Dennis

Domicile State

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Dennis, I went to the North Carolina DMV website and ask them the question. That was on the 15th and nothing yet. Like you, I have no desire to be looking over my shoulder about the state coming after me. I’ll let everyone know what I find out.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm assuming, based on your posts, you would like to be "legal" as far as getting everything in place. Sure, there are ways to game the system depending on your particular persuasion but not everyone fits that mold. That's why it's imperative to research everything thoroughly before deciding. When we left California, who have the most aggressive tax collectors, I didn't want one knocking on my door later. So, from what you're saying is you want to remain a South Carolina resident. That narrows everything down a lot. Very few, if any, campgrounds allow you to use their address for your mail anymore. This has little to do with you and everything to do with them. Hopefully a campground owner will chime in as to why, but it's my understanding it has to do with tax breaks they receive. Too many 'residents' and they lose their campground status. As for using the PO box, the Patriot Act no longer allows us to use that for a permanent addy. If you live in a small town, often you can use the post office's street address and your po box as a #. That's what UPS stores and many smaller mail servicing outlets offer. I would caution you about using the campground's address as they could end that preference at any time. My advice is to do your own research. Dig through the IRS pages...it's in there. When we went full time, and sold our home, we began transferring everything to SD...banks, voter reg, savings accts etc etc. We then got our vehicles registered there as well as our crivers licenses. By the time escrow closed whatever we dealt with went to SD. California never knocked. :).....hope this helps....Dennis

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flordia, Texas, SD and NV will let you register to a mail-service.
I "Rented" from my brother.. you may be able to "Rent" from a son or daughter.
Some Campgrounds also also let you "Register" there not all states will allow that however.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would use my current address and have the post office hold my mail until I picked it up. Pretty easy at small post office. Once you have all your paperwork in hand you have a good buffer while planning your next move. I am in a RV resort in FL and you can use this as a permanent address. My mail is forwarded from NC.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful with some of the advice here. It depends on the state you end up with. I can say that in Texas, a box at the UPS store isn't good enough for a domicile and you can't get a drivers license using one. I use one for other reasons, but I have a lease at a campground that is my official domicile. Escapees in Livingston TX is a popular one for those looking to domicile in TX.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi jorbill2or , we’re in NC now and we did buy the Coach while we owned our house. Then someone bought the house... Who knew?

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
My choice would be St Brendan’s ..... keeps your Florida residence since you already are a Florida resident. It provides a “real” address for all your mail and the service will forward to you or toss on your schedule and orders. You can just transfer your existing driver’s license etc. a plus is Its a low cost county for insurance etc. ( or so I’m told). The only problem might be if you are financing , not having the sticks and bricks can raise the rate. Most times people buy while they still own, but if you aren’t financing it’s not an issue.
Bill

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi wildtoad and yes they do. But the post office recognizes it as a business address and I don’t believe that qualifies?

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mondooker wrote:
I don’t believe a P.O Box can be used for a title and license plate?

I believe this to be true, which is why many use UPS as you get a physical address.

To OP, does the park you’re planning to stay in allow you to receive mail and packages there?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT