Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Bought a new coach & what about address
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Bought a new coach & what about address

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
rdhetrick

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/21 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be careful with some of the advice here. It depends on the state you end up with. I can say that in Texas, a box at the UPS store isn't good enough for a domicile and you can't get a drivers license using one. I use one for other reasons, but I have a lease at a campground that is my official domicile. Escapees in Livingston TX is a popular one for those looking to domicile in TX.

Rob
2006 Mandalay 40E Full Time
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/21 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would use my current address and have the post office hold my mail until I picked it up. Pretty easy at small post office. Once you have all your paperwork in hand you have a good buffer while planning your next move. I am in a RV resort in FL and you can use this as a permanent address. My mail is forwarded from NC.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/21 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flordia, Texas, SD and NV will let you register to a mail-service.
I "Rented" from my brother.. you may be able to "Rent" from a son or daughter.
Some Campgrounds also also let you "Register" there not all states will allow that however.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/21 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm assuming, based on your posts, you would like to be "legal" as far as getting everything in place. Sure, there are ways to game the system depending on your particular persuasion but not everyone fits that mold. That's why it's imperative to research everything thoroughly before deciding. When we left California, who have the most aggressive tax collectors, I didn't want one knocking on my door later. So, from what you're saying is you want to remain a South Carolina resident. That narrows everything down a lot. Very few, if any, campgrounds allow you to use their address for your mail anymore. This has little to do with you and everything to do with them. Hopefully a campground owner will chime in as to why, but it's my understanding it has to do with tax breaks they receive. Too many 'residents' and they lose their campground status. As for using the PO box, the Patriot Act no longer allows us to use that for a permanent addy. If you live in a small town, often you can use the post office's street address and your po box as a #. That's what UPS stores and many smaller mail servicing outlets offer. I would caution you about using the campground's address as they could end that preference at any time. My advice is to do your own research. Dig through the IRS pages...it's in there. When we went full time, and sold our home, we began transferring everything to SD...banks, voter reg, savings accts etc etc. We then got our vehicles registered there as well as our crivers licenses. By the time escrow closed whatever we dealt with went to SD. California never knocked. [emoticon].....hope this helps....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/21 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Dennis, I went to the North Carolina DMV website and ask them the question. That was on the 15th and nothing yet. Like you, I have no desire to be looking over my shoulder about the state coming after me. I’ll let everyone know what I find out.

Executive

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/21 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Hi Dennis, I went to the North Carolina DMV website and ask them the question. That was on the 15th and nothing yet. Like you, I have no desire to be looking over my shoulder about the state coming after me. I’ll let everyone know what I find out.

While I know you intend to continue to stay in NC, here is some interesting reading for you. Be sure to pay attention to "Proving Your State of Domicile"...Dennis

Domicile State

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/21 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My situation has nothing to do with better tax implications. Mine is a simple matter of “I’ve lived in NC for years, sold my home and living in an RV park right down the road”. The RV park does allow mail delivery btw. My coach is up for a new license tag in May. What address do I use? I sent an email to the DMV a week ago asking this question but nothing so far.

Executive

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/21 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For now I'd use the campground's address. That may change in the future but for now that's exactly what it is....Dennis

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/21 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

I don’t believe a P.O Box can be used for a title and license plate?
Just for mailing. List anyone you know as a street address but mail it to the Box.
That is how mine works but I also have a local home address.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

gonesouth

Tatamagouche, NS

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take the advice in the link to "Domicile State" with a grain of salt. The writer is inclined to take the rules for one state and assume they apply everywhere in the world. This stuff is very spwfic to where you currently live, where you are trying to count as a resident, and where you physically spend your time after the move. be very,very careful if there is a substantial amount of money involved.

I once registered a motorhome in North Carolina based on the idea that Mayberry Campground in MT. Airy NC was going to host it in the winter for me while I went back to Nova Scotia. NC uses the place where the motorhome lives as the deciding item for registering in NC. That was in 2008 and with all the talk about people's 401C's becoming 001c's when someone knocked on our door in the campground in Florida and offered cash we took it

Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Bought a new coach & what about address
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.