Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Boondocking and working with no electricity
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Boondocking and working with no electricity

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/21 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The simple solution is to stop working. I stopped 12 years ago and now I can enjoy life. The next best option is to spend less $$ on gas and buy some batteries, battery monitor, inverter, solar panels, and controller.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/21 11:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing to consider is a USB-C powered monitor, that's what I use for my second screen, it pulls its power from the laptop and sips it compared to a typical desktop monitor. That way if you power your laptop off a DC-DC power supply you've eliminated the need for an inverter to run during the work day.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/21 12:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Power ain't free no matter how you choose to get it.. Choose your poison on how you wish to get it and go from there..

Mostly just have to look at your ROI on the solution you choose.

Solar costs a lot to start off with, but as long as you have sun, you can run your A/C on it if you have a system to handle it.

Gens are easy, but loud and use a lot of gas if you are running an Onan just to charge the batteries..

Better to get a little Honda 1000 or whatever to charge the batteries.

Or?? Lots of options.. We all have our own preference.. You are just going to have to find your preference and see how it works for you and adjust accordingly.

Good luck! Mitch.
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/21 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With lithium batteries starting at $399,i would suggest a stand alone battery for your extras...My camper only has one house battery so using a stand alone was about my only option and it works really well for extras like cpap/tv/DVD and charging devices..It takes the load off the single house battery.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/21 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rocky2 wrote:

A little off topic but having a battery pack to charge your cell phones and laptops is inexpensive insurance for essentials go dead.

A battery pack big enough to charge a laptop can be pretty expensive !

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/21 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almot wrote:

Yep. The best kept secret of generator users [emoticon]... When it's not charged fully every day and not equalized once a week, it won't last long.

Don't let them drop below 50% and recharge to at least 80%+ and should be fine as long as you get them up to 100% every week or two...which if the OP is going back to a campground every other week as suggested will happen.

This is has been standard practice for decades with cruising boats. Operate between 50-80% with occasional runs up to 100%. Nothing unusual to get 5-10yrs out of a battery bank doing this.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

"Solar generators" are expensive, low powered.

Most pre-packages solutions (like Jackery, EGO and Bluetti) are way over priced ! Quick rant about "solar generators"

DIY Portable Solar Generator (minus panels)

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/21 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

"Solar generators" are expensive, low powered.

Most pre-packages solutions (like Jackery, EGO and Bluetti) are way over priced ! Quick rant about "solar generators"

DIY Portable Solar Generator (minus panels)

That's Will..He did have good reviews on a couple solar generators and recommended them...Personally,owning three in total,they have there purpose for some,not all..Take my Jackery 240..Runs my cpap/charges my phones and laptop and even runs my Engel 12v compressor fridge for over 24 hrs for less than $200..That's less than a good 12V battery and it comes with an MPPT controller/PSW inverter and a 12v regulated socket and again,less than $200..I do not think that is over priced..

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The answer is:
Look to get a solar system!!!

$250 will get you 200 watts, a charge controller and wires. Can you do basic handy man stuff? Mount them yourself, there is 1,000s of forum threads on this right here.

Otherwise, you will be putting some hard "miles" on your RV batteries by running them low, charging them back, running them los, over n over.

Solar is the easiest way. You will be glad u did.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going solar depends a lot on where you are going to use it. Michigan ranks 47th out of the 48 continual states in available sunshine.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Boondocking and working with no electricity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.