Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Lassen Volcanic NP Highway 89
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Lassen Volcanic NP Highway 89

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/21 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How is the road North to South through the NP pulling a 36 foot 5th wheel in first week of August?

We are thinking about staying a few days at Manzanita Lake Campground. Any suggestion on the best site are welcome.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

ORbiker

Springfield, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/21 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

How is the road North to South through the NP pulling a 36 foot 5th wheel in first week of August?

We are thinking about staying a few days at Manzanita Lake Campground. Any suggestion on the best site are welcome.

There is up to the top and then down. It's a nice road with curves.

Map

Up from the north 2,444 ft ยท and down 3,297 ft in 28.6 miles

It's beautiful, KEN

Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/21 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

You will be traveling in the summer heat. Make your reservations now[emoticon]

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/21 10:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long back story on how I ended up on it going North mid spring but the snow gate was closed at the top. Had to U-turn.

I spent my other life in a truck and I wouldn't recommend towing your trailer at least on the south side. The road doesn't have much for shoulders and it is about as crooked as a politician. Nice scenery, wife didn't see much of it. Not saying you can't do it, I just wouldn't recommend it.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, RedRolling is a former trucker, and I am not. So I would trust his judgment over mine.

Having said that, I have taken 89 north to south, towing my small trailer, and it was not a problem at all. I did have to downshift several times, but I do that on many downgrades. And my wife said the scenery was great. I was looking at the road, so I can't comment. [emoticon]

There is one hike at the crest that you do not want to miss -- it is called "Bumpa$$ Heck." (The names have been changed slightly to avoid the anti-obscenity software.).

Bumpa$$ was the name of the poor guy who discovered it by getting burned and dying. Here is a blog post that may be useful -- scroll down to the part on Lassen:

Lassen post

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Well, RedRolling is a former trucker, and I am not. So I would trust his judgment over mine.

Having said that, I have taken 89 north to south, towing my small trailer, and it was not a problem at all. I did have to downshift several times, but I do that on many downgrades. And my wife said the scenery was great. I was looking at the road, so I can't comment. [emoticon]

There is one hike at the crest that you do not want to miss -- it is called "Bumpa$$ Heck." (The names have been changed slightly to avoid the anti-obscenity software.).

Bumpa$$ was the name of the poor guy who discovered it by getting burned and dying. Here is a blog post that may be useful -- scroll down to the part on Lassen:

Lassen post

Great pictures/Video of an outstanding RV trip!. Keep posting your trips.

StarkNaked

West Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/21 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just booked a site at Manzanita Lake this morning!

We'll be driving a class C with toad.

Probably coming in on 44. Current plan is just use the toad to explore 89 inside the park. Then departing Northbound on 44/89 and connecting up with I-5 near Mt. Shasta.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Lassen Volcanic NP Highway 89
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.