cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bryson City NC to Knoxville TN

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Google Maps shows a route between these two places using Rt441 which seems to go through the park, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. What is this route like? Route through the park looks like it might be twist and turn. Would this be a problem for our 27ft class A. Other option seems to be to get to I40. Would appreciate any suggestions.
10 REPLIES 10

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Take 74 from Bryson City through Murphy to Cleveland and I-75 or go back east of Waynesville to I-40.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Is this the road where trailer length is limited to 30'?

The road you're thinking of is US129, the (in)famous Tail of the Dragon, along the southern edge of the GSM national park. US441 does not have that length restriction.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
No length restriction as far as I know. Didn't find anything on the Park website.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this the road where trailer length is limited to 30'?

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF (big if) you decide to go over the mountain, please consider those on the road with you. Use the multiple pull offs and let those following you get around. You will be 'slower traffic'. Distance wise, 441 is shorter by a great deal, time wise? Not so much. US 74 thru Waynesville to I-40 will get you there also.
I have run both ways several times and prefer the 74 route simply because of the steepness on both sides of Newfound Gap and the very slow and congested traffic in the park. BTW traffic in Pigeon Forge pretty rough all the time but on weekends and holidays it moves like Atlanta on a bad day.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
441 is beautiful. Go slow, stop often, and enjoy the trip. I am going back and will take 441 again.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
How comfortable are you with steep grades....both up and down. 441 goes through the National Park and if you are not familiar or up to the challenge of mountain driving I would opt for I-40. I live in the area here and I have seen more than a few motorhomes and class C's with their brakes burned up because people did not know how to gear down and keep the speed down. I'm telling you it's a challenging drive. Newfound gap is 5,049 ft. and Cherokee is 1991 ft elevation so you have a 3000 ft. climb up and and about 2800 coming down with twists and turns all the way.

If you want to go I-40 stay on 74 because its an easier drive than 19 and you still end up in the same place. Yep, I-40 is the longer route and you still have a few hills and grades but nothing like 441. 441 will be a workout for you.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Mel wrote:
If I wanted to see the park or Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, I would take 411. If I just wanted to get to Knoxville, especially on a weekend, I would take I 40.

If you have not been through the park this would be a good opportunity to enjoy it. Just don't be in a hurry and consider it a visit to a very popular National Park.

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
I have done both routes in our 26 ft class c. If you are comfortable driving in the mountains, 441 should not be a problem. Just use a lower gear and watch your brakes. IMO the NC side is steeper and the TN side more curves. Traffic from Gatlinburg to I 40 can be bumper to bumper at times. On I 40 there is an area that is 55 MPH with large trucks limited to the right lane and 50 MPH. A concrete barrier median separates east and west bound lanes. I have gone thru when the trucks will stack up and slow things down but it moves along. Google maps street view shows the area around the TN/NC really well.

If I wanted to see the park or Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, I would take 411. If I just wanted to get to Knoxville, especially on a weekend, I would take I 40.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The road definitely twists and turns and goes up and down. You should be able to negotiate it, but it's for sure not quick going (and you do have quite a downhill grade on the far side of the mountain). I took my 32' class C (no toad) over in the opposite direction without drama a couple years ago.

Pigeon forge and Gatlinburg are slow and congested, or at least have invariably been so the few times I've been through the area.

I'd probably take 441, but I suspect time wise it's pretty close to a wash either way--or perhaps a teeny bit quicker to take the interstate.