Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Overhang construction
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Overhang construction

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/21 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

EMD360 wrote:

When I bought a 2003 Itasca in 2009 the advice here was to line any roof seams and marker lights with eternabond. That has held up amazingly well and I don’t think it is leaking although I do have some delamination in various areas of the body. I just updated to a 2018 Minnie Winnie and I’m wondering if I should do the same thing when the weather gets better.
. Did you actually put eternabond tape over the corner seams of the overhang? How wide a strip did you use?

Yes on the rear corners, no on the front. Wish I had though. I used two 2” pieces in the corners. One overlapping the other. I taped inside all the marker lights with pieces cut to fit and used some 4” tape over the seams on the roof.. I taped around all the vents and air conditioner after removing the old caulk. It was easier to remove the metal strip on the back than on the front. I was worried I would not be able to get it back on.

fourthclassC

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Want to comment on PNichols entry. I also have a similarly constructed 03 Winnebago with the aluminum frame. Best construction by far of the 3 classC units I have had in the past and rebuilt many areas. The only weakness is the window seal which is not as bad as some. But the aluminum outside corner molding is woefully too small. I looked into getting some wider but not easy with the needed rounded bending. So I remove all and caulked the joints with proflex, then applied eternabond over the corners (required cutting the tape in half) then reinstalled the molding. No issues after several years. In the rear corners, made my own wider molding by cutting down PVC square fence post. Now the molding is 1.5" on each "leg". Also same caluk/eternabond treatment.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fourthclassC wrote:

Want to comment on PNichols entry. I also have a similarly constructed 03 Winnebago with the aluminum frame. Best construction by far of the 3 classC units I have had in the past and rebuilt many areas. The only weakness is the window seal which is not as bad as some. But the aluminum outside corner molding is woefully too small. I looked into getting some wider but not easy with the needed rounded bending. So I remove all and caulked the joints with proflex, then applied eternabond over the corners (required cutting the tape in half) then reinstalled the molding. No issues after several years. In the rear corners, made my own wider molding by cutting down PVC square fence post. Now the molding is 1.5" on each "leg". Also same caluk/eternabond treatment.
I like the PVC fence post idea, I would think that would be a cheap design solution for the front cap corners for the OEM to install.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Overhang construction
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.