cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing error leads to BIG reissue bill

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.thedrive.com/news/39794/rv-driver-annihilates-their-new-jeep-wrangler-by-flat-towing-it-in-4-low

Clicky
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.
16 REPLIES 16

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
jshupe wrote:

We always double check the dash indicator and roll forward a few feet with it hooked up to make sure the wheels move freely before hitting the road.

The Owners Manual for both our 2017 JKU and 2020 JT state that we should shift the transfer case into N, then test it by shifting the transmission into D and pressing the gas pedal, then shifting into R and pressing the gas pedal. If the Jeep tries to move then something isn't right. Finally, we shift the transmission into P and we're good to go.

The images seem to show that the vehicle in question was an automatic I'm not sure where they got the information that it was in 1st gear...

The Manual for my 2005 Wrangler Unlimited says the same thing. So did the Manual for the 2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon I used to have!
READING and FOLLOWING the instructions solves numerous problems!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

lhatton
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a VW rabbit diesel at auction back in the 80s.

It was burned to a crisp from the hood and back of the front fenders to the rear bumper. Bought it for the motor and transmission.

Was disappointed to find when we got it back to the shop, it had a nice hole in the block and a couple of rods poking out. Transmission was hung in first.

Only then did we notice the nice tow tags on the front end. Lucky he didn't burn the MH to the ground as well. Must have got it disconnected quick!
1994 Pace Arrow SOLD IT!
2000 Discovery
2002 Wrangler

The one I have left may still be too many!

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
With the new JL's if you don't pay attention to the dash readout for T-case position it's very easy to do this. Gotta pay attention!

For 4Runner, they installed an annoying beeping that you just can't miss.

And yeah, not suitable as tactical vehicle for hunting announcing your presence to all 8-pointer out there.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
For better or worse, my first thought was: "What kind of fuel mileage did they get towing the Jeep like that?"... lol

Shame to see that it was a Rubicon. I don't know about the newest ones, but years ago those were pretty darn good out of the factory.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
With the new JL's if you don't pay attention to the dash readout for T-case position it's very easy to do this. Gotta pay attention!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not the first to do this. Won't be the last. Stuff happens.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Seriously, the owner did not hear those scary sound?

I wondered that as well, and I don't know exactly what they were towing the Jeep with, but if they were in a 35,000 lb 500 hp diesel pusher, they likely would not feel nor hear the tortured sounds of their Jeep dying a horrific non-warranted death. They probably also were not aware of the clouds of smoke following them or the honks and gestures of other drivers.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I once stopped someone with too much money. He was pulling a toad thru a campground with both rear wheels dragging. He had the park brake on.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
The Owners Manual for both our 2017 JKU and 2020 JT state that we should shift the transfer case into N, then test it by shifting the transmission into D and pressing the gas pedal, then shifting into R and pressing the gas pedal. If the Jeep tries to move then something isn't right. Finally, we shift the transmission into P and we're good to go.

Apparently it says the same for the 2020 JL, and I either missed it, never looked, or forgot. Makes sense to do and should be added to the routine.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just proves that some people have more money than brains. At least nobody got hurt but some had a tough time avoiding the flying parts.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
but they said that it was towable 4 down.
bumpy

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
jshupe wrote:

We always double check the dash indicator and roll forward a few feet with it hooked up to make sure the wheels move freely before hitting the road.

The images seem to show that the vehicle in question was an automatic I'm not sure where they got the information that it was in 1st gear...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fake. Photoshopped.

Someone had to say it.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
If you aren't careful shifting the TC into N, you can accidentally go into 4L. I'm sure that's actually what happened - though can't speak to it being left in 1st if that is indeed the case.

Sure hope insurances comes through for them - I'm sure they could repair it for much less using used parts from crashed vehicles.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s