cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Conditioning Silencer from Wacko Products???

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have experience or knowledge about the Wacko Products Air Conditioner Silencer? I stumbled upon this online and from the very few reviews I saw it seems to work, but I have only seen a handful of reviews and they could be "fake" so I wanted to ask here.

It's for use with a standard ducted A/c unit and they claim 8-10db of noise reduction. $200 is what they cost so they are a bit pricey, but could be worth it if they quiet down the A/C a bit.

We have a whisper quiet A/C in our living room and a standard in the master bedroom and it is loud as a 747.

Matt
9 REPLIES 9

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I gather that these WackO covers are only for ducted systems and not for ductless A/C units? I am looking at buying a small TT, about 17', and they don't come with ducted systems. I was hoping this would be a way to quiet that type of A/C.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
I had 2 Bighorns and over at their forum someone came up with โ€œthe tent in the ventโ€. Basically the air comes straight down, hits the cover, and has to find its way to the side ducts. Fix is to make a piece of sheet metal into the shape of a V. Turn the V upside down like this ^. Furnace tape it to the ducts and fill any gaps so when the air come down it hits the^ and flows directly to the vents. I made my V with curves it for a better flow. Made air quieter and much stronger. Only had one AC in our Bighorns and it worked great. Air to the bedroom was very much improved. Only downside is all the sawdust you have to clean up that was blown out of the vents, LOL. Our Nu-Wa AC was installed much better and works great so I havenโ€™t needed to do that mod.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

jyenter
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased one and it does reduce the AC noise alot. My wife always complained about how loud it was when fan was set on high.

After I installed it, I set the fan on HIGH, asked my wife to come out to listen to it. When she herd it she said it much quieter than before, now put the fan on high. I said it is, she could believe the difference. Fan set on low is almost silent.

Another big plus is the filter, it's a good quality reusable filter. Not cheap piece of foam.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
They could have picked a better name. WackO? Sheesh. Reminds me of a small company I dealt with in the '80s that called itself Autumn Steel & Silo Co. They stamped A S S C O on their products. Considering the QC (bad heat treat) problems they had, the abbreviation fit.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one and it is an insane price. I imagine in time there will be competing products and the price will come down.

It does quiet the system down and stopped that annoying noise in my ears, my wife. I CAN'T HEAR! TURN UP THE TV! CAN'T YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT THING!
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
I did ours and measured a 3-4 db improvement. I spoke to to CS guy and he helped me with a few tips. They claim 3-6 db improvement. Not sure where OP got the 8-10 db number but when I bought ours and looked at their site it claimed 3-6 db improvement. I suspect if you have a dump opening you will get the high end, if not, the lower end. Bottom line, much quieter and no longer have to turn up the TV. I recommend it.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
After spending countless hours building my own a few years back I came across their great looking product. They work as advertised and were within 1 db of the ones I built. The advantage of mine was being able to select which side I wanted the air inlet to be. Getting that away from direct ear shot saves a db or so alone. The Wakos are incredibly well built and a brilliant design. It is amazing how much work goes into making and selling something like this.

The air filter alone is a superb design. I could never get the right filter setup on my builds. It would be nice if they had a quick release to be able to clean the filter. Full timing living at the end of a dirt road makes them clog quickly and taking the four screws out to remove the cover and then loostening four others is a bit o a pain but I liked the first one so much I bought the second one too.

My design got rid of the noisy down dump and that alone made a huge difference. You can probably improve your air flow while the cover is off and look at your registers. Mine were never trimmed down so stuck into the ducting almost to the top. The air had to struggle to get up and down into the outlet. Trimming the tubes made a phenominal improvement in air flow.

The product is not cheap but sitting under one of those noisy AC's is a real pain full timing in Florida.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was a thread about them a couple years ago that may be of help to you.

Here it is
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

There are alternatives!

https://youtu.be/cct1QfLiT6s
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.