Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Wagan inverters not suitable for lithium batteries?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Wagan inverters not suitable for lithium batteries?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was reading the reviews on amazon for Wagan inverters and wagon CS said there 1000 watt psw is not ideal for lithium batteries with the different voltage parameters..

Is this true and are there other inverters that are not ideal for lithium batteries and especially,what inverter is ideal/the best for lithium because I am needing a 1000-1500 PSW that doesn't break the bank...

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wagan, not wagon. If your computer is like mine, it has been "helping" you again.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oops..Fixed...Thanks..

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What voltage is the issue? I think they pretty much all run 10.5 to 14.6 volts and should not be trouble. Or is this a charging issue?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/21 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Or is this a charging issue?
My question also.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the quote....

Wagan wrote:

Question: Why wouldn't this inverter work with lithium iron phosphate batteries? Don't you just hook up the wires to the terminals and go?
Answer: The reason we say its not compatible is primarily because of the different voltage characteristics as the battery is drained. Our inverter is set to 15V high voltage alarm and 10.5 Low voltage alarm.
These conditions might not be ideal for lithium iron phosphate batteries. Your lithium batteries may discharge completely before the alarm goes off. see less
By Wagan Customer Service MANUFACTURER

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks.

Nobody should be allowing their batteries to drain like that. A battery monitor like the Victron BMV-700 is almost a must with Li.

I don't see the specs for high and low voltage to be much different from any other inverter, although Wagan is not known to be top of the line. I will commend them for being honest.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/21 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12v inverters have their "low voltage shut-down" settings at 10.5v typically, with a warning at 11v. Purpose is to protect the battery from being drained right down. Those voltages will be as loaded voltages so after shut down, the battery voltage bounces back to a higher voltage.

With the higher voltage/SOC of AGMs, SiO2, and LFP you can run the batteries down further before the inverter alarms or shuts down, so there is less protection. That might be what they are talking about.

Since SiO2 and LFP can be operated to a lower SOC with no harm, this should not matter with them. But it might matter with AGM depending on how often you do that perhaps. Cure for AGM is just recharge at 12.4 instead of 12.2 if that is their 50% and the inverter will only alarm if the load is really big making the loaded voltage really low.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/21 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Thanks.

Nobody should be allowing their batteries to drain like that. A battery monitor like the Victron BMV-700 is almost a must with Li.

I don't see the specs for high and low voltage to be much different from any other inverter, although Wagan is not known to be top of the line.

What's the best bang for the buck then?..Is Kisae considered a respectable inverter?..Trying to get the best one for less than say $250 that will last and do it's job reliably...

Not in a big hurry but that statement from Wagan confused an already electrically challenged camper..LOL

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/21 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I see in that will be the battery BMS could cut power before the Wagan inverter shuts down at 10.0 volts.
Nothing really wrong with fully discharging a lithium battery. Probably more harm to fully discharging a lead-acid.
What battery do you have?

Although if your solar controller needs a battery connected... having the battery BMS cut off could be an issue.

Just don't run the battery that low no matter the chemistry.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Wagan inverters not suitable for lithium batteries?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.