Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Propane tank inside or outside of RV?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Propane tank inside or outside of RV?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
rvtwerner

Issaquah

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/21 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for that. I was going to hold off on linking it to my RV lines until I knew how long I was keeping this unit. Going with the 20 lb tank outside for now.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/21 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is one explanation of cold and propane.

The freezing point of propane is -44 degrees Fahrenheit. The coldest temperature recorded in Newburgh is -20?F. So there’s not much reason to be concerned about your propane freezing.

But that’s not the end of the story.

While it’s unlikely your propane will freeze here, it can still be affected by very cold temperatures. Propane contracts when it’s cold. When it’s extremely cold outside, the volume of propane inside your aboveground propane tank will shrink, which creates a loss of pressure. The problem is, if the pressure becomes too low, the propane inside your tank will not be able to reach your gas burner. That means you may not be able to run your propane appliances, including your furnace or boiler, which can be very problematic in severe cold.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/21 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My propane furnace worked perfectly in my house at -30 degrees a couple of years ago. My TT furnace worked perfectly at -10 degrees during deer season last year. We turned the furnace down to about 45 degrees overnight to help the battery last better. My regulator never froze up on us. My tanks were full on the TT and the tank at home was about 60% going into the extreme cold.
Maybe your heater shut down due to the oxygen depletion sensor shutting off your heater (if it has one.)

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/21 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Propane does not freeze, it does have a boiling point of -44.3f. at that temp there is no pressure in the vessel. Butanes boiling point is + 32f. Commonly sold in the south in like Mexico are a blend which raises the boiling point
As a liquid boils into a gas in a vessel, it cools the vessel, thats why you see frost on the outside if it, the relativy humidity condenses on the outside of the vessel. A/Cs, all cooling units work onthe same principal.
With high demand on a small vessel like a 20# vs a 250 gal home tank the chilling of the liquid inthe small tank as it boils into vapor will seriously chill the liquid resulting in lower ptessure, giving the visual effect of freezing of the regulator. Relative humidity will condense on a part colder than 100% RH The freezing on the outside is water RH freezing on the outside of the tank and regulator, not the propane inside it.
Keep tanks larger than 1# outside, warm the tank, thats what your hot water pour on it did. You got the pressure back by warming the tank.
Learn propane properties easy on wikipedia.
I poured and carried propane in a bucket at -53f, Long Lac, On. Jan. 94

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/21 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Propane actually does freeze solid at -306.4F. Below that you could skip the bucket and carry it as a brick. Wear gloves [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/21 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

The freezing point of propane is -44 degrees Fahrenheit. The coldest temperature recorded in Newburgh is -20?F. So there’s not much reason to be concerned about your propane freezing.

It is illegal to have a pressurized propane tank inside your RV. Here is why: https://youtu.be/XQM3mbUtboQ?t=22

You mean the boiling point. The freezing point is about -306 F

Another issue is that in the south in summer time butane may be added to the propane. The boiling point is much higher for butane.

* This post was edited 03/17/21 10:58pm by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/21 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Propane actually does freeze solid at -306.4F. Below that you could skip the bucket and carry it as a brick. Wear gloves [emoticon]

It would be easier to just carry it around in a pail at anything less than -44 F. at which point it stops boiling and is a stable liquid like water.

Easier on the hands too. LOL.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

But that’s not the end of the story.

While it’s unlikely your propane will freeze here, it can still be affected by very cold temperatures. Propane contracts when it’s cold. When it’s extremely cold outside, the volume of propane inside your aboveground propane tank will shrink, which creates a loss of pressure. The problem is, if the pressure becomes too low, the propane inside your tank will not be able to reach your gas burner. That means you may not be able to run your propane appliances, including your furnace or boiler, which can be very problematic in severe cold.

Good info. While freezing maybe the wrong term. Propane flow can be dramatically impacted by cold temps.
Describing the impact as freezing is easier for the novice to understand vs. stating propane "contracts" in the cold weather.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Seon

Lake Camanche, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Throw a blank over the tank and leave it outside. [emoticon]

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seon wrote:

Throw a blank over the tank and leave it outside. [emoticon]

As propane gas is drawn off the liquid inside the tank boils--drawing heat from the atmosphere. If a blanket were thrown over the tank it makes it harder for the tank to stay warm enough to produce the needed volume of propane gas.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Propane tank inside or outside of RV?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.