Safety chains save couples lives

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
9 REPLIES 9

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The fast thinking truck driver who ran the gold colored chain from his bumper to the truckโ€™s hitch deserves some credit.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the local news article on this - KTVB News and the Responder's story
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
There's a pretty big RV lying on it's side in the road. A blowout, an uncontrolled sway episode, or a huge wind gust are likely culprits.

Definitely a tribute to the strength of the chain and its attachment points.

ETA: If you read down through the Twitter thread, one woman who said they were her friends, and had been at the hospital with them, said it was due to the wind. Some nasty gusts on bridges sometimes.

It was a wind gust. The area is known for being windy.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
This couple live locally to me and were on our local news this morning. They lived full time in their trailer and lost everything. There is a GoFundMe setup for them. It's a miracle they survived as well as their dogs.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolmom42 wrote:
There's a pretty big RV lying on it's side in the road. A blowout, an uncontrolled sway episode, or a huge wind gust are likely culprits.

ETA: If you read down through the Twitter thread, one woman who said they were her friends, and had been at the hospital with them, said it was due to the wind. Some nasty gusts on bridges sometimes.

And just before, friend was on the area leading up to Mackinac bridge waiting for it to reopen due to high winds when a gust flipped their 8k pound trailer filled with 5 snowmobiles and their 3500 truck over like it was a leaf.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever happened, I'm certain it wasn't on purpose. These travelers are probably the most lucky people on earth.
Now---I actually wonder what this couple talked about while awaiting rescue.
Kudos to the semi driver that anchored the pickup to his rig and a BIG tip of a hat to the rescue guys!!!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually it was only one safety chain.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting. When did this happen?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad