Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Those of You That Flat Tow

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to be certain that you, “ do not try this at home”! 😉 memtb

https://www.technicalripon.com/cars/rver-flat-tows-new-jeep-wrangler-in-low-gear-carnage-ensues/
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
7 REPLIES 7

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I don’t care who ya are, that’s funny!
Left in 4lo and low gear in a manual trans....and couldn’t feel anything “weird?”
Basically Darwin at work here. Although for Karmas sake, we all make mistakes.
Bet the insurance adjusters had a hearty laugh when this claim hit their in-box!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:
This link is about towing a Jeep (the TOAD) in 4LOW. If you are that dumb that you don't know the reason to not do this then clicky, otherwise save your time

It's an interesting read from the angle of how much damage can be done. It also serves as a reminder to ensure you set everything properly.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
It is really quite simple:
READ the instructions in the Owners Manual.
FOLLOW the instructions, VERY carefully.
No problem.

That is what I do when towing my Jeep Wrangler. However, I have made a few modifications to the instructions, based on personal experience:
1. ALWAYS connect the towbar to the motorhome FIRST. Doing this eliminates the need to set the parking brake, so I do not have to worry about releasing it.
2. Put transfer case in Neutral, transmission in 6th gear. Start engine, let the clutch out. If Jeep does not try to move, turn engine off, leave switch in "Off, Not Locked" position (If your Jeep is 2007 or newer, it doesn't have that position).
3. Connect wiring and safety chains.
I'm good to go.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
flat towing isnt an issue but you do have to do your reserch as some vehicles are better than others for it.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We didn't tow jeeps but we flat-towed 6-7 cars (different makes/models) over 40 years of RV-ing and never had a problem with any of them. We made sure we could tow the cars and did so following the manufacturer's instructions and got along fine.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I was about to post this after seeing it on the news. YIKES! It literally blew out the bottom of the engine...crank is gone. They said the engine was turning at 50,000 RPM....yes, 50k RPM in low range. WOW. And $30k to fix.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
This link is about towing a Jeep (the TOAD) in 4LOW. If you are that dumb that you don't know the reason to not do this then clicky, otherwise save your time