cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2004 Dynamax Sport Sedan 220 mileage

Pado
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a used 22 foot Dynamax Isata Sport 220. It has approximately 42,000 miles on it. The previous owner said that he got approximately 12-14 MPG. On our first trip, we averaged 8 MPG. Does anyone have a guesstimate of what mileage I should expect? I realize this varies with many factors but am looking for a general idea. We do not tow anything with it. It is 14,050 lb. VWR and 20,000 lb. GCWR.

Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
What the previous owner failed to disclosed was that 12-14mpg was when it was being towed

Seriously...RVs get 8-10 mpg
MPG and RV is an oxymoron

Fill up...go camping and enjoy the RV
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sadly the seller was lying through his teeth... :S No V-10 on earth ever got 12 - 14 mpg. As noted above given the aerodynamic advantage of your Class B+ vs a boxy Class C {like my 24' Nexus} you could/should see maybe 10 mpg if you keep your right foot under control.

Learn to appreciate the V-10 for what it is, a workhorse, bullet proof motor. There are lots of things you can do in addition to several already mentioned in this thread. Check your tires for the proper inflation based upon the actual weight they are carrying {yes, you will need got get to a CAT Scale} and the tire manufacturers load inflation tables. Perhaps new fuel and air filters but the V -10 doesn't call for its first tune up until 100,000 miles.

It will take a while but after you have checked your mileage at the pump multiple times you will begin to get a better feel for what your actual mileage is. If your coach does not have real time and average mileage displays get a Scan Gauge {or other similar device} to display this info. Most folks can improve their mileage by about 10 percent by monitoring and adjusting their driving style based upon the old game of trying to get your real time mileage above your average {and it's kind of fun}.

If nothing else take comfort in the fact you are in good company as there are more V-10's out there powering motorhomes than all the other motors put together... and yes, there is a reason for that. Good luck!

:B

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
09 cambria, 30 foot. 8.5mpg over a 45K mile period. sometimes down as low as 5mpg pulling a 16ft. trailer.
Towing my jeep it had no effect on mileage.
the seller was "puffing' alright.
Doubtful if a tune-up would do anything noticeable to improve mileage. Enjoy your new rig and just ignore the fuel pump numbers.

Pado
Explorer
Explorer
The chassis is a Ford E450. (22 feet) It is a Ford 6.8L, Triton V-10 engine (415 CID, 305 HP, 420 ft./lbs. of torque @ 3250 rpm.

Pado
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your comments. I have not figured out how to reply to each of you individually so I am replying to everything here.

I am not sure when the last tune-up was performed. I have not had one done yet but plan to do it this week.

We traveled from Virginia to upstate NY in October. The temperature ranged from about 50 degrees to 70 degrees while driving.

The terrain did have it's share of hills!

We calculated the mileage 3 times. Each was calculated off of a full tank of gas.

Thank you for the tip about checking the flap on the radiator - I'll check today although engines are not my thing but I'm very into learning - I may have a few more questions once I get under the hood!

Pado
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked. I do have a V10. Thank you. I will be checking all suggestions.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
On an E350 and E450, There is one thing that can be easily checked, if you think your fuel economy tanked, or your power is reduced, especially if you recently had the radiator replaced.

Disconnect the oval air intake from the leading connection and pivot it upward. In the hole it was snapped into, inspect to make sure there is no obstructive plastic flap blocking the air flow. If there is, you have to lift that large plastic radiator shroud, fold the obstructive flap back, and set the shroud back down.

There was a recall some years ago where a line worker failed to fold the flap back, creating the obstruction which messed with power and fuel economy.

In getting a bird carcass out from our radiator, I removed the shroud and accidentally recreated the scenario. Fortunately I caught myself before I was finished.

In Pado's case, if he has the smaller V8 engine in an E350, he just might average 12 mpg because his motor home is so tiny and aerodynamic. But drop at least 1mpg with the larger V10 engine.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Pado wrote:
I purchased a used 22 foot Dynamax Isata Sport 220. It has approximately 42,000 miles on it. The previous owner said that he got approximately 12-14 MPG. On our first trip, we averaged 8 MPG. Does anyone have a guesstimate of what mileage I should expect? I realize this varies with many factors but am looking for a general idea. We do not tow anything with it. It is 14,050 lb. VWR and 20,000 lb. GCWR.

Thank you.

This is an easy one to solve. Based on specs very likely a V10 E450. Either the owner flat out lied about mpg or just was really bad at math. Expect 8-10, slightly less if towing.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
65k in a 24 C with V-10

14 downhill with a tail wind, 12 flat with tail wind, 8 uphill or into a good wind. Avg over 65k 10.5

should add that was at 65ish mph

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It would appear to be an E450 platform, and presumably has the V10 engine. 8-9 mpg, or maybe 10 on a good day, is about what I would expect. 12-14 mpg strikes me as highly optimistic, possibly achievable if you're driving on level ground at low highway speeds, say 40-45 mph--basically as slow as you can go with it staying in overdrive.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I think the previous owner was puffing. Has the engine had a recent tuneup?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
What you see, is what you get. The older Ford gas engines/transmission combos are not known for their exceptional fuel economy. Power, yes, but at a price. What size is it? V8 or V10?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know much about the chassis that particular motorhome is based upon, but a couple of things come to mind which might have skewed your number to the lower side. Though, I'm tempted to say that 12-14 MPG is probably pretty optimistic if this is a gas engine motorhome.

That said, how long was your trip? Did you have to fill the tank several times, or are you basing your calculations on a half-tank of fuel? The more times you "fill the tank" you tend to average out the fact that tanks don't always fill to the same level everytime. If you base it on a single fill, you the pump may have kicked off early when you topped it off to leave, and then didn't kick off early when you refilled.

Also, what terrain were you travelling over? A lot of mountains, or mostly level?

Was your trip recent? If it was during a cold snap (we've had a few in recent weeks), your mpg will be lower in the colder weather.

Can you tell us any more about what chassis the rig is built on? Again, I think 12-14 might be optimistic, but I would think 9-12 could be within reason. So you getting about 8 isn't that far off.

But, rather than dwell on MPG....HOW DID YOU LIKE THE RIG!!! 🙂 I've seen some Dynamax's and they looked nice!

Whatever the MPG, Good Luck on your new RV!

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.