Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2004 Dynamax Sport Sedan 220 mileage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> 2004 Dynamax Sport Sedan 220 mileage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Pado

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased a used 22 foot Dynamax Isata Sport 220. It has approximately 42,000 miles on it. The previous owner said that he got approximately 12-14 MPG. On our first trip, we averaged 8 MPG. Does anyone have a guesstimate of what mileage I should expect? I realize this varies with many factors but am looking for a general idea. We do not tow anything with it. It is 14,050 lb. VWR and 20,000 lb. GCWR.

Thank you.

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know much about the chassis that particular motorhome is based upon, but a couple of things come to mind which might have skewed your number to the lower side. Though, I'm tempted to say that 12-14 MPG is probably pretty optimistic if this is a gas engine motorhome.

That said, how long was your trip? Did you have to fill the tank several times, or are you basing your calculations on a half-tank of fuel? The more times you "fill the tank" you tend to average out the fact that tanks don't always fill to the same level everytime. If you base it on a single fill, you the pump may have kicked off early when you topped it off to leave, and then didn't kick off early when you refilled.

Also, what terrain were you travelling over? A lot of mountains, or mostly level?

Was your trip recent? If it was during a cold snap (we've had a few in recent weeks), your mpg will be lower in the colder weather.

Can you tell us any more about what chassis the rig is built on? Again, I think 12-14 might be optimistic, but I would think 9-12 could be within reason. So you getting about 8 isn't that far off.

But, rather than dwell on MPG....HOW DID YOU LIKE THE RIG!!! :-) I've seen some Dynamax's and they looked nice!

Whatever the MPG, Good Luck on your new RV!

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you see, is what you get. The older Ford gas engines/transmission combos are not known for their exceptional fuel economy. Power, yes, but at a price. What size is it? V8 or V10?

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the previous owner was puffing. Has the engine had a recent tuneup?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would appear to be an E450 platform, and presumably has the V10 engine. 8-9 mpg, or maybe 10 on a good day, is about what I would expect. 12-14 mpg strikes me as highly optimistic, possibly achievable if you're driving on level ground at low highway speeds, say 40-45 mph--basically as slow as you can go with it staying in overdrive.

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

65k in a 24 C with V-10

14 downhill with a tail wind, 12 flat with tail wind, 8 uphill or into a good wind. Avg over 65k 10.5

should add that was at 65ish mph

* This post was edited 03/18/21 07:10pm by winnietrey *

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pado wrote:

I purchased a used 22 foot Dynamax Isata Sport 220. It has approximately 42,000 miles on it. The previous owner said that he got approximately 12-14 MPG. On our first trip, we averaged 8 MPG. Does anyone have a guesstimate of what mileage I should expect? I realize this varies with many factors but am looking for a general idea. We do not tow anything with it. It is 14,050 lb. VWR and 20,000 lb. GCWR.

Thank you.

This is an easy one to solve. Based on specs very likely a V10 E450. Either the owner flat out lied about mpg or just was really bad at math. Expect 8-10, slightly less if towing.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/21 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On an E350 and E450, There is one thing that can be easily checked, if you think your fuel economy tanked, or your power is reduced, especially if you recently had the radiator replaced.

Disconnect the oval air intake from the leading connection and pivot it upward. In the hole it was snapped into, inspect to make sure there is no obstructive plastic flap blocking the air flow. If there is, you have to lift that large plastic radiator shroud, fold the obstructive flap back, and set the shroud back down.

There was a recall some years ago where a line worker failed to fold the flap back, creating the obstruction which messed with power and fuel economy.

In getting a bird carcass out from our radiator, I removed the shroud and accidentally recreated the scenario. Fortunately I caught myself before I was finished.

In Pado's case, if he has the smaller V8 engine in an E350, he just might average 12 mpg because his motor home is so tiny and aerodynamic. But drop at least 1mpg with the larger V10 engine.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Pado

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just checked. I do have a V10. Thank you. I will be checking all suggestions.

Pado

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for your comments. I have not figured out how to reply to each of you individually so I am replying to everything here.

I am not sure when the last tune-up was performed. I have not had one done yet but plan to do it this week.

We traveled from Virginia to upstate NY in October. The temperature ranged from about 50 degrees to 70 degrees while driving.

The terrain did have it's share of hills!

We calculated the mileage 3 times. Each was calculated off of a full tank of gas.

Thank you for the tip about checking the flap on the radiator - I'll check today although engines are not my thing but I'm very into learning - I may have a few more questions once I get under the hood!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> 2004 Dynamax Sport Sedan 220 mileage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.