Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: Evacuation Insurance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Evacuation Insurance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I lived in Alaska for 26 years (moved to ID last fall), and never heard of anyone needing/wanting evacuation insurance. Remote search and rescue is coordinated and performed by the Alaska Guard with C-130's and Blackhawks. Life flight operates helicopters out of local hospitals and does transports from roadways to the hospital.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MORSNOW wrote:

I lived in Alaska for 26 years (moved to ID last fall), and never heard of anyone needing/wanting evacuation insurance. Remote search and rescue is coordinated and performed by the Alaska Guard with C-130's and Blackhawks. Life flight operates helicopters out of local hospitals and does transports from roadways to the hospital.

I think the purpose might be so they don't have to pay for any rescue/evacuation out of pocket.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As the crow flies and “assuming” you cross into Canada at Sweet Grass MT ( Coutts Alberta) it’s 1500 miles, (x2 if you don’t use the Alaska ferry service, and we all know crows don’t fly in a straight line) to Beaver Creek Yukon where you enter into Alaska or Chicken Alaska. I quick google map search gives about a 1900 mile one way trip through Canada
You should be inquiring about your insurance coverage for the Canadian leg of your trip.

Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LifeMed Alaska offers a membership service to cover remote medical flights and the like. I don't know the membership restrictions precisely enough to know if its suitable for the OP's plan, but many remote lodges either provide or recommend that their summer help gets a membership.

The one time I was flying and stopped flying before I wanted to...and at a location I didn't want to stop at..I was picked up by the Air Guard and didn't have to pay a dime. Nearly 30 years ago, though. Conversely, had a colleague experience severe illness in the back of beyond a month or so ago and was told that his evacuation flight, had it not been part of his LifeMed membership, would have cost circa $40,000.

All that being said, I'm not sure how an "emergency evacuation" would play out on the road system.....not that it couldn't happen, just not quite the same as being off the road system.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/21 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SideHillSoup wrote:

As the crow flies and “assuming” you cross into Canada at Sweet Grass MT ( Coutts Alberta) it’s 1500 miles, (x2 if you don’t use the Alaska ferry service, and we all know crows don’t fly in a straight line) to Beaver Creek Yukon where you enter into Alaska or Chicken Alaska. I quick google map search gives about a 1900 mile one way trip through Canada
You should be inquiring about your insurance coverage for the Canadian leg of your trip.

Soup.

I'm inquiring about the entire trip, Alaska included. Last thing I need is to get in a major accident that requires extensive hospitalization 1900 miles from home. I'm looking for insurance for the entire trip that will pay to have me or my spouse transported back to our home town.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/21 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

"had a colleague experience severe illness in the back of beyond a month or so ago and was told that his evacuation flight, had it not been part of his LifeMed membership, would have cost circa $40,000."

this is what I'm trying to avoid.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/21 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

allen8106 wrote:

PA12DRVR wrote:

"had a colleague experience severe illness in the back of beyond a month or so ago and was told that his evacuation flight, had it not been part of his LifeMed membership, would have cost circa $40,000."

this is what I'm trying to avoid.

I just did an online search under "evacuation insurance" and multiple companies came up. I'd do that and read what they offer. Might be a bit cumbersome but you'll get the answers you need. Allianz does offer evacuation coverage.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd second what Crowe mentioned...PITA, but probably can get a good start with a web search.

Only further suggestion that I'd offer is to call up whichever entity looks suitable and talk through the details of your travel, including access (or lack thereof) to your locations along the way. Obviously, the primary road system in the U.S. and Canada is not a problem. The secondary road systems in U.S./Alaska and Canada are likely not a problem either... but if your travel involves going to locations where you are limited to either bush plane or helicopter access, I'd ask the insurer to identify the specific part of the policy that covers that...and I'd also ask them to walk through all of the exclusions to make sure "remote" is not excluded. One of my clients had a situation where "travel to the nearest airport within 50 miles" and "evacuation from the airport to a suitable facility" were both allegedly covered, but when travel to the "nearest" airport meant either a helicopter flight or a 25-mile riverboat ride (i.e. no roads, etc), the insurer balked.

canadafan

Norfolk UK

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/21 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are worried about coverage in Canada you could take a look here : www.visitorsinsurance.ca

Trevor

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/21 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we went in 2019, I wanted a way to communicate with family and in case of emergency. I ended up buying a SPOT communicator. One of the options was a rescue feature at the press of a button that would attivate what ever type of rescue was needed.

Check this out. I used it to send a All Safe text message with our location every night.

In hindsight, i should have gone with the Garmin Inreach unit as it is easier to operate.

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Evacuation Insurance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.