cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Custom/DIY Truck Camper Tie Downs

fishingcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to avoid the $600 price tag on the torklift frame mounting system. Anyone have a good solution?

TC Lance 845 2800# Dry No Slide Out
GMC 2500HD SRW
58 REPLIES 58

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bert the Welder wrote:
If you want to keep applying non-relevant statements to the issue, you're wasting your time.

I was responding to your hypotheticals, of course. However, if you want to do some reading that compares Chinese to US Steel, itโ€™s easy to find.

Hereโ€™s one pretty well written example if you care to learn more about it.

https://gensteel.com/building-faqs/building-comparisons/chinese-steel-quality-vs-american-steel-qual...

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I'm sorry that critical thinking conflicts with what you choose to believe, but that's you choice.

"US steel that actually has standards could be worse than Chinese steel that doesnโ€™t."
-Ridiculous statement

If you want to keep applying non-relevant statements to the issue, you're wasting your time.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My post how to test the steel got deleted, but once again, tie-downs don't need to be build with heat-treated steel.
Truck frames are build with mild steel, only with latest few exceptions.
Towing hitches are build with mild steel and only the higher end balls are heat-treated.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does Torqlift heat treat their tiedowns? That would seem to be at least as important as the choice of steel used.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bert the Welder wrote:
Just for the sake of clarity when it comes to the words Pacific is using:.

Not clarity more confusion. Seems like a ridiculous thought process you have going on for your last post.

Sure,they could be intentionally lying and stretching the truth, and US steel that actually has standards could be worse than Chinese steel that doesnโ€™t. On the other hand, both Pacific Steel and Torklift could be honest companies who make great products. After all, thatโ€™s the normal MO for companies who stand behind their projects.

Feel free to think the worst of them if thatโ€™s more fun for you, but donโ€™t think you are adding clarity.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just for the sake of clarity when it comes to the words Pacific is using:

"We purchase all of our steel products at US steel mills across the country"
-That very specifically avoids saying they purchase product made by/in US mills or are 100% US steel. They are only saying they buy products 'from' the mills.IE: I can buy a Toyota at a US car lot. Doesn't mean it was made there.

"We carry and extensive range of domestic made products"
- I'm sure they do. But again, they specifically don't say " They carry only domestic products. This is like the classic "Made with 100% real beef" Everyone assumes "with" means "only with" but it doesn't. "With only indicates "Real beef" is an ingredient. The product in fact made with 100% real pork, 100% real soy protein, 100% whatever else they stuff in there.

"This in turn reinforces our strong relationships with US steel mills"
- This is a duh, no schit statement. If you buy anything from any US retailer, regardless of where it's made, you're supporting that US retailer buy default.

"Pacific Steel & Recycling supports the Buy American effort"
-Again, more specific words. "Effort" meaning to try. Not to absolutely do, but to try. If they only bought "Made in the US" exclusively, they they'd say that. They don't say that because they don't just buy US made products/materials. But they sure as hell want you to think that and their marketing dept. and legal dept. know just how to word it so you interpret what they said one way but legally they aren't actually saying what you think they are saying.

"dedicated itself to remain 100% made in the USA"
- Yep, their product is 100% made in the USA. Their "product" is a completely built tie down. Does not in anyway mean what their product is made OF is 100% US made.

"Even the steel and aluminum are sourced from the United States"
-Same as above. You can "source" a Siberian tiger in the USA. You can "source" rocks from the Moon in the USA. Just means you bought it in the USA. Nothing more specific then that.

And while we're all engaged in this fruitful discourse. Country of origin does not automatically indicate a level of quality. China, for example, being the favourite target. Tools for example. "Made in China piece of schit...." "Of course it broke, it's made in China" Well, the reality is a crappy tool come out of a Chinese factory because a company, including US brands, spec'd it to come out that way. They want it built as cheap as possible so they can make as big a mark up on it as possible.
So Roma steel or Chinese steel can be as good or bad as the buyer wants it to be. And perhaps that's the difference between HD USA and HD Canada when it comes to there steel purchases.

Ok fellas, carry on the sweep.....
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
"sourced" definition
" To obtain (materials or parts) from another business, country, or locale for manufacture: They sourced the spoke nuts from our company."

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Again Jim, you don't know how it works.

You seem to be unaware of Pacific Steel a company headquartered in Great Falls, MT with a location in Tacoma and locations all over the Northwest. Tacoma is very near Sumner where Torklift is located.

From the Pacific Steel website ...

โ€œWe purchase all of our steel products at US steel mills across the country. We carry and extensive range of domestic made products. This in turn reinforces our strong relationships with US steel mills โ€“ Pacific Steel & Recycling supports the Buy American effort.โ€

But here is the real proof from Truck Camper Magazine. https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/factory-tour/torklift-international-s-magnum-super-factory/

โ€œ On a different note, we are very proud that Torklift International has dedicated itself to remain 100% made in the USA. Even the steel and aluminum are sourced from the United States.โ€

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If you visit weld forums or project building forums, youโ€™ll find lots of unexplained failures with Home Depot steel."

Sure. But one has no idea what the actual cause of the failure is. Most pro's don't buy at HD. So that leaves the general public. Add to that it's an internet form leaving little to gauge where the truth lies, that's a bad example to wave.

"Add that Home Depot and typical hardware steel costs more as well"

Of course it costs more. They sell little bits, one bit at a time, and infrequently compared to other stuff. Not seeing your point on that.

"From your description, youโ€™ve also already had your tie down mount bend which you think is good. At least you have some work hardening started now."

LOL

"You only have to search and read to realize that the US Steel Industry is strong."

Yep, when all else fails, just start the flag waving.....

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bert the Welder wrote:
As I said, The HD steel I got matched up to the supplier steel.

Your sample size of one was just fine. I donโ€™t disagree, but that doesnโ€™t make it all match up.

Again, everyone should buy what they want. Iโ€™d prefer not to take the chance on their steel that is also higher priced.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
Bert the Welder wrote:
"Very mild steel" That's a type of steel I'm not familiar with. Must be special to American't Home Depot's?
As it happens, I've hand bent steel flat bar from HD, side by side with "regular" mild steel and there was no difference.

And if you want to call something structural and of safety relevance to other travelers "a typical DIY project" then that says everything one needs to know about your thinking right there.

Itโ€™s unclear why you think the steel at HD is just the same as everywhere else. Iโ€™m sure you know that the amount of carbon in steel makes it much harder. You should also know that not all steel is from the same place and formed with the same methods.

I and friends have been very unimpressed by steel and aluminum weโ€™ve bought at HD. On the other hand, the steel at typical steel supplies and aluminum seems to be much stronger. No, I didnโ€™t put it on a machine to test the hardness. It was good enough for us to avoid it after unexplained failures.

I said โ€œnotโ€ a typical DIY project.

Everywhere else?

As I said, The HD steel I got matched up to the supplier steel. So then it be down to HD's supplier. American HD= American steel. Canadian HD= Canadian steel. Perhaps.

You may have "felt" the steel to be inferior. I don't know what your steel handling and forming experience is. I can only base what I found on 20,000 plus hour of hand bending steel alone, and that's cold hand bent, not with machines or torches or forges. All manner of shape and thickness of bar and rod stock, both hot and cold rolled and various dimensions and profiles of tubing and pipe. I consider my hands pretty sensitive to variations in the recipe and therefore properties of mild steel. So yes, I'm quite familiar with how "mild steel" behaves.

It's quite possible that your supplier is giving you a steel that is indeed higher carbon and they just refer to it as "Mild steel" for the punters.
I've had suppliers try this. As soon as I hoist a hand full of 20 foot lengths on my shoulder, the waggle ain't right. Back it goes with a polite note.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bert the Welder wrote:
"Very mild steel" That's a type of steel I'm not familiar with. Must be special to American't Home Depot's?
As it happens, I've hand bent steel flat bar from HD, side by side with "regular" mild steel and there was no difference.

And if you want to call something structural and of safety relevance to other travelers "a typical DIY project" then that says everything one needs to know about your thinking right there.

Itโ€™s unclear why you think the steel at HD is just the same as everywhere else. Iโ€™m sure you know that the amount of carbon in steel makes it much harder. You should also know that not all steel is from the same place and formed with the same methods.

I and friends have been very unimpressed by steel and aluminum weโ€™ve bought at HD. On the other hand, the steel at typical steel supplies and aluminum seems to be much stronger. No, I didnโ€™t put it on a machine to test the hardness. It was good enough for us to avoid it after unexplained failures.

I said โ€œnotโ€ a typical DIY project.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ha, Iโ€™ve only had Torklift tie down mounts, Iโ€™ve seen their approaches for many decades and brands. Since you know everything, Iโ€™ll just agree you are right and have fantastic engineering skills.

Will that work for you?