Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Custom/DIY Truck Camper Tie Downs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Custom/DIY Truck Camper Tie Downs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
AISURFFISH

BERLIN MARYLAND

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2... why even question the price..

Suck it up and do what's right..buy the right to for the job at hand.

mkirsch wrote:

How many tens of thousands do you have in the truck? How many tens of thousands do you have in the camper? I just don't see any rational reason to pinch pennies on the tiedowns. $600 is chump change. Your time is worth something. Raw materials are not cheap.

I bought the Torklift fronts for my $2000 camper and have not regretted it for a minute.

2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab
Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There have been quite a few self built over the years. Fairly recent one that went into some detail but couldn't find thread.
In the TCUsticky thread, under Camper Loading, Hauling, Tiedowns: there are few older threads

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AISURFFISH wrote:

X2... why even question the price..

Suck it up and do what's right..buy the right to for the job at hand.

mkirsch wrote:

How many tens of thousands do you have in the truck? How many tens of thousands do you have in the camper? I just don't see any rational reason to pinch pennies on the tiedowns. $600 is chump change. Your time is worth something. Raw materials are not cheap.

I bought the Torklift fronts for my $2000 camper and have not regretted it for a minute.

X3

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

......and don't' just go picking up a Hazard Fraught welder and start bird-poopin' something together.
There are cheaper brands. But they are that for a reason. Mine are Draw-Tit I think. The PC paint is chit!!!!

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/21 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't be cheaper than I am. I sucked it up and got both front and rear Torqlifts. Geat investment!
To save money then just get the front Torqlifts and make something for the rear. The front is the more center part of the camper and needs the most restraint.

Also, never weld on your truck frame between the axles. Never! Esp that you will be loading it down with a TC.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/21 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

You can't be cheaper than I am. I sucked it up and got both front and rear Torqlifts. Geat investment!
To save money then just get the front Torqlifts and make something for the rear. The front is the more center part of the camper and needs the most restraint.

Also, never weld on your truck frame between the axles. Never! Esp that you will be loading it down with a TC.

Actually the rear restraint is important as it would have more tendency to lift then the front restraint . Front edge/mount is more at a pivot point. Weight of the cabover is the other side of the pivot.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/21 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you guys for real?
These are extremely simple metal fab, not rocket science.
I made my own and they’re a better fit for what I needed than anything Torklift makes, and easily as strong.
I’m not knocking Torklift, they make great stuff.
I’m knocking the people who think no one can or should do anything themself.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 01:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

Are you guys for real?
These are extremely simple metal fab, not rocket science.
I made my own and they’re a better fit for what I needed than anything Torklift makes, and easily as strong.
I’m not knocking Torklift, they make great stuff.
I’m knocking the people who think no one can or should do anything themself.

Sure. If someone can build a dog house, then they must be able to build a full size house. Makes sense.
So yeah, just go grab any old Harbor Fright welder and start blazing away. Beside, there's always a grinder and paint to make it 'look' good. [emoticon]

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Torklift products are over priced and there are other options like Happijac's and home made which were the choice for heavy truck campers back when and as simple as adding a belly bar..I've seen them just clamped to the frame for easy on easy off..There are countless ways to secure your TC without spending a thousand dollars on tie downs..There products are good but way over priced IMHO..

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Torklift products are over priced

Obviously not since they can sell them and have a great reputation. Also, they don’t cost $1000 either unless you go with the Aluminum models. Otherwise, you can get them for a few hundred less.

For what you are getting they are a great deal compared to Happijacs which atttach to the bed and bumper permanently, and the other brands don’t even pretend to compete for the heavy camper market.

But also, I can understand that you don’t choose to spend your money that way considering you are driving a ‘94. It’s not like I’m driving a new truck either.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Custom/DIY Truck Camper Tie Downs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.