cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford 7.3L & 10 speed...

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, looking for discussion from folks who have this combo...

What are your likes, what are your dislikes?

What kind of mileage do you get when you are not towing? (This will spend most of it's time as a grocery hauler, but I have joined the 3/4 ton police given that 1/2 ton trucks seem sooo short on weight capacity these days. Camper is 30 ft, 7000 lb gross)

FWIW- I have not liked GM's 6 speed transmissions. When the went from 5 to 6 speeds, It seems like they added a much lower gear and much higher gear, and "the elusive ideal towing gear" is still missing. We spend LOTS AND LOTS of time in 4th gear with the engine wound up...3rd for any hill climbing, and occasionally second. 5th gear is rare (I'm ok that it never sees 6th).

I know that's not bad, but conversely, it seems like it has always been missing a slightly higher gear for towing.

And, any rumors on reliability?

I'm considering an F-250 SRW truck with this combo.

Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

Let_s_Go_Explor
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the F350 version last December and have been very pleased so far. Only got 2K miles on it so I cant really comment on Mileage yet.

The trans shifting is a little different than the old truck, but no complaints, especially after the trans has some use / "learns".

The engine has plenty of torque so we're definitely not worried about pulling the RV, even in the mountains.

The better half likes it more than our old 2006 F350 with the V10. It is easier to get into, the seats are little more comfortable and the ride is better even with the tires inflated to recommended pressure.

I would strongly recommend the 7.3L / 10 speed combo.
April & Tom (and son Brian when he is in town!)

2021 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5
2021 Ford F350 XLT 4X4 Crew Cab w/ 7.3L Engine and 4:30 Rear.

Life is meant to be enjoyed. Find ways to make it happen! :B

Hiking and Geocaching Rocks!

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
22,000 miles now, still running fine, transmission still shifting fine, just takes a while to get used to that second gear and fourth gear skip, that’s in normal mode and Eco mode, tow haul it will use all the gears, 16 miles per gallon average empty, 8.8 to 12.8 towing, depends on the trailerI just have to get my tailgate camera recall performed

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Only 2200 miles on mine so far. Towed twice a short distance. No issues, new car bugs or regrets. I’m getting 11~mpg getting groceries, 17~flat highway and it appears around 8.5 towing. I’d buy it again in a heartbeat.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a video of a owner who pulls a impressive load with his 7.3. He's call it "a puller".

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
“given that 1/2 ton trucks seem sooo short on weight capacity these days.”

Half tons are not declining in max tow or payload. The numbers go up every year. However, 30 feet is my max for towing with a half ton.

Problem is people demand soooo much luxury in 1/2 ton these days.

If people are willing to buy single cab base trim, the payloads are just as high if not higher than the 80s/90s, with MUCH higher power / tow rating.

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2021, just pulled for the first time this weekend. I am very pleased,tows great and love the transmission,it shifts flawlessly, I had a Ram with a Cummins and while it might have gotten little better mileage ,and having owned 5 rams before this Ford, I like this engine.Good luck finding one though. I drove from Az. to Denver to buy this one. At the time the only one with that engine in 5 states

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
We have several 7.3L trucks now at my work in F-350 pickups and F-550 dump trucks. They are loaded heavy, driven hard, and they are all solid workhorses with zero issues so far. I think this engine is a winner for Ford and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were in the market. They sound awesome too! :C
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Again, not disastrous other than there are sometimes shortages of parts and you may have to wait some time to get your truck back on the road. Ford replacing them under warranty.

IIRC, these were very early build, like maybe the first 2 or 3 months.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gene K 2 wrote:
kellem wrote:
I own a 2021 F250 7.3 and have been extremely pleased.

We tow a 30' 7600 lb trailer but have only pulled twice so perhaps, minimal contribution.

I'm seeing 17 mpg highway empty and 10.3 towing twice.
The truck has given me 1800 miles of trouble free service.....grin.

The maximums go up but I'm not sure the minimum goes up. It's very possible to get a Ram or an F150 with a 1100 lb payload.

F150 Screw Lariat 4x4 502A 2.7EB with Pano Roof and all the other extras likely weighs 54xx and they only have a 6600 GVWR.

:S:S
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gene_K_2
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:

We tow a 30' 7600 lb trailer but have only pulled twice so perhaps, minimal contribution.

The maximums go up but I'm not sure the minimum goes up. It's very possible to get a Ram or an F150 with a 1100 lb payload.

F150 Screw Lariat 4x4 502A 2.7EB with Pano Roof and all the other extras likely weighs 54xx and they only have a 6600 GVWR.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“given that 1/2 ton trucks seem sooo short on weight capacity these days.”

Half tons are not declining in max tow or payload. The numbers go up every year. However, 30 feet is my max for towing with a half ton.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Two problems I have read about.
Noise coming from transmission. Not a big deal by any means, wont leave you stranded and Ford is replacing affected tranny's w/new.
Spark plug wires failing. Again, not disastrous other than there are sometimes shortages of parts and you may have to wait some time to get your truck back on the road. Ford replacing them under warranty. Some people carry a spare if they can find one (they're cheap).

To me, these issues are diddly compared to most new designs.