Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Schoolies
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Rickyrocket

Coventry,RI

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/19/21 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the thoughts on this trend.Its nothing new as people have been converting busses forever.Having owned a Cl.A in the past for 16 years,I'm intrigued whit doing a bus conversion. For my retirement home,I was wondering how these vehicles are treated at campgrounds/RV Parks? The bus itself is built on a heavy duty chassis with a steel body,much stronger than most high end class A coaches. So whats the thoughts?

jshupe

FT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/20/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/19/21 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of campgrounds require RVIA certification. So if you want to stay in campgrounds, you might want to rule a conversion out.


2019 Ram 3500 HO/AISIN CCLB DRW Longhorn
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/19/21 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rick,

Most busses of all types are aluminum bodies on VERY SERIOUS chassis. If you want to see more, go to any FMCA rally.

There is an FMCA division for both buss conversions and "schoolies". The great joke to me was that there is still a line in the FMCA application that says that you can join, but you should not mount the FMCA egg on the coach if it is still chrome yellow.

Matt


Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.


Rickyrocket

Coventry,RI

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/19/21 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really I've never been asked if my RV was certified,at least in the northeast,they've never asked about anything other than size.I worked at Bud motorcoach,they built school busses made of steel.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/19/21 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

Lots of campgrounds require RVIA certification. So if you want to stay in campgrounds, you might want to rule a conversion out.


As long as you do your research and then construct it properly there’s no problem getting it certified.

BTW, the requirement is NOT RVIA certification, the standard is NFPA spec. Just read the fine print on any RVIA label, it quotes the req’d spec, RVIA are just the certifying body. Kind of like on a S&B home, the building inspector signs off on it, but the building code is the spec. to be met.

jshupe

FT

Senior Member

Joined: 08/20/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/19/21 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

jshupe wrote:

Lots of campgrounds require RVIA certification. So if you want to stay in campgrounds, you might want to rule a conversion out.


As long as you do your research and then construct it properly there’s no problem getting it certified.

BTW, the requirement is NOT RVIA certification, the standard is NFPA spec. Just read the fine print on any RVIA label, it quotes the req’d spec, RVIA are just the certifying body. Kind of like on a S&B home, the building inspector signs off on it, but the building code is the spec. to be met.


A recent stay comes to mind - https://www.trailervillagervpark.com/park-rules
Only RIVA approved units will be allowed in the park. Due to safety reasons no "Homemade" RV's or FEMA trailers will be allowed.

And another - https://www.rt66rvresort.com/rules/
Incoming RV’s, motorhomes and travel trailers must be in good condition and self-contained. Due to the high standard of quality in the RV Resort pop-up trailer, tents, or home constructed units will not be permitted.

We were asked during booking at both places, specifically about an RVIA sticker, on a quick trip through NM a couple weeks ago. That was on the phone before they even saw the rig. Ultimately it's up to the park - if you want to stay in parks, I wouldn't go that route.

Rickyrocket

Coventry,RI

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/19/21 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking at a legit safe machine that will last,will gladly take it to be certified if that is possible,I think I could build a better coach than what is sold at RV dealers that wouldn't spend time in the shop for warranty work,I've talked with many owners who have a class A with issues.

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/19/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever you estimate will be your build time, triple it. Whatever you estimate will be your budget, double it. Revisit buying an RV IMO.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad


JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/19/21 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

jshupe wrote:

Lots of campgrounds require RVIA certification. So if you want to stay in campgrounds, you might want to rule a conversion out.


As long as you do your research and then construct it properly there’s no problem getting it certified.

BTW, the requirement is NOT RVIA certification, the standard is NFPA spec. Just read the fine print on any RVIA label, it quotes the req’d spec, RVIA are just the certifying body. Kind of like on a S&B home, the building inspector signs off on it, but the building code is the spec. to be met.


A recent stay comes to mind - https://www.trailervillagervpark.com/park-rules
Only RIVA approved units will be allowed in the park. Due to safety reasons no "Homemade" RV's or FEMA trailers will be allowed.

And another - https://www.rt66rvresort.com/rules/
Incoming RV’s, motorhomes and travel trailers must be in good condition and self-contained. Due to the high standard of quality in the RV Resort pop-up trailer, tents, or home constructed units will not be permitted.

We were asked during booking at both places, specifically about an RVIA sticker, on a quick trip through NM a couple weeks ago. That was on the phone before they even saw the rig. Ultimately it's up to the park - if you want to stay in parks, I wouldn't go that route.


This an RVIA seal, read what it says in the center, certified to comply with NFPA 1192.

[image]

DrewE

Vermont

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/19/21 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally speaking, the more upscale the park/campground/resort, the more likely they are to have limitations and restrictions on what sort of RV you can use. A schoolie is likely to be welcomed at state and national parks without a second thought, assuming it's in anything resembling halfway decent condition.

The RVIA is a trade association, and the RVIA seal mostly means that the maker is a member of the association and hence paying dues, etc. It also is a sort of self-certification that they are meeting legal requirements in terms of fire, electric, sanitation, and motor vehicle codes, with some (I suspect very minimal) verification/oversight by the RVIA.

I wonder if parks that require an RVIA seal (specifically) frequently turn away those commercial RVs made by companies that are not RVIA members and hence do not have the seal? Some of them are perfectly decent makers.





Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.