Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: WB longer than 159 ins in a 23-25 ft Class C
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> WB longer than 159 ins in a 23-25 ft Class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like most 25ft or shorter gas Class C's have a WB of 159 ins. The only ones I have found with a longer WB is a Four Winds 24 and 24M at 169ins. Are there any others out there?

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forester TS has a 178” wheelbase.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/class-c-motorhomes/forester-ts

Same with the Coachhouse Platinum 3.

https://www.coachhouserv.com/models/platinum-3/platinum3-250/

Also all Sprinter motor homes have a 170” wheelbase.

I’m not sure why the conventional E-Series/Chevy motorhomes aren’t built on longer wheelbases.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wished our rig HERE that is built on the standard 158" E350 wheel base, was instead built on the standard 176" wheel base for better weight distribution. But.....I think doing so would come at a sacrifice to outdoor storage and adding a trip hazzard in the bathroom.

As always, there are trade-offs.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron thanks for posting that. Turns out they now offer both wheelbases. The 2350 has the 158” wheelbase and the 2351 has a 170” wheelbase.

https://www.phoenixusarv.com/read-more-about--cruiser-2351

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course the longer the wheelbase, the more the chance of high-center scraping of stuff underneath when traveling on rough road surfaces.

With the longer rear overhangs that can result from short wheelbase lengths, taking dips at an angle can prevent scraping of the road surface.

However, there is no way to avoid high-center scraping of objects on the road surface due to longer wheelbase lengths -> other than via part of the RV structure being held higher via a frame lift ... or via large diameter tires lifting the entire RV.

I guess one has to pick their poison - a less rough ride, or more flexibilty in choice of road surface.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

Ron thanks for posting that. Turns out they now offer both wheelbases. The 2350 has the 158” wheelbase and the 2351 has a 170” wheelbase.

https://www.phoenixusarv.com/read-more-about--cruiser-2351

Yes, but model 2351 is one foot longer....that extra foot in the floor plan makes it work. Model 2350 also still available today still with the 158" wheel base the same as my 14 year old 2350.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 10:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

176" to 27' is an ideal 55% ratio making them extremely driveable.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Of course the longer the wheelbase, the more the chance of high-center scraping of stuff underneath when traveling on rough road surfaces.

With the longer rear overhangs that can result from short wheelbase lengths, taking dips at an angle can prevent scraping of the road surface.

The chassis itself seems plenty high enough to me to prevent high-pointing on most any road one would take a motorhome on. If the maker has bodywork or other things hanging down especially low, that could be a problem. Scraping the back end seems to be much more commonly encountered.

In my opinion, a greater drawback of a longer wheelbase is the corresponding increase in the minimum turning radius, since the wheel cut angle does not change when the chassis is lengthened. Navigating gas stations and parking lots with a large vehicle is hard enough; doing so with one that can't turn very sharply doesn't help things.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/21 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone now why Ford does not make a longer WB like the Sprinter chassis? Seems like the two things people with these short C's complain about is scraping the rear end and having to add suspension mods to improve the handling, both would be helped with a longer WB. In addition many complain about the front end being too light contributing to the problem. I would think storage bays in front of the rear tires would help to put more weight up front so that each tire can carry the same weight which would improve the ride. Am I over simplify this and missing something?

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/21 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I recall correctly, Ford does have standards/plans for how to lengthen the E series chassis, and there are one or two companies that do this for many motorhome builders. (Possibly some motorhome makers do it in-house, too.) It's not especially complex, basically just welding extensions in the middle of the frame rails and extending the drive shaft, wiring, brake lines, etc.

The E series chassis is used in a wide variety of vehicles, not just motorhomes; and for most of them (ambulances, box trucks, mini-busses, etc.) a longer chassis is rarely necessary or desirable. Last time I checked, as best as I could make out from the available numbers very roughly half the E series chassis production went to class C motorhomes, and the other half to other vehicles. I can only assume the market just isn't there to make it worthwhile for Ford to offer factory-built units with longer wheelbases. (It might take some substantial retooling of their assembly line to be able to produce them. It also might not--I have no way of knowing that.)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> WB longer than 159 ins in a 23-25 ft Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.