Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Metal tire valve replacement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Metal tire valve replacement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
SFVdave

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am replacing my original unused 7 year old spare tire with a new Michellin. The rim has a rubber valve stem and must be replaced. My local tire dealer doesn't have one that fits, so I want to order one or two from Amazon but am unsure as to the size. anyone have an idea? It' for a 2015 Ford E-450. I have extenders that work fine , but not needed as it's going on the front. Just need the valve stem.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/21 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry if this is off-track, but why can't your tire dealer order metal valve stems? My local tire shop didn't have the all-metal stems I wanted, so they called someplace in town (an auto parts warehouse, maybe?) and had them brought over in about an hour. No doubts about getting the correct size that way.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

SFVdave

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

Sorry if this is off-track, but why can't your tire dealer order metal valve stems? My local tire shop didn't have the all-metal stems I wanted, so they called someplace in town (an auto parts warehouse, maybe?) and had them brought over in about an hour. No doubts about getting the correct size that way.

I don't know why. But they called and said they found one and changed the bushing. Seems silly doesn't it. So I guess there are 2 sizes and many of the metal stems come with 2 bushing sizes. Anyway, problem solved. Thanks

jk31668

so. Fla.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i learned that they make a rubber one now thats good up to 100 psi.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/21 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the 2 common tire valve hole diameters are .453” and .625”
Any tire shop who actually had a complication with that worth calling you is probably not a good shop.
Regarding metal valve stems, somehow I’ve not had great luck with them in recent years, fwiw.
And IMO it’s a wives tale about them being more durable. I figure with the liability around tires and wheels, OEMs likely wouldn’t use rubber valve stems on trucks with 80psi tires if they weren’t safe.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/21 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 02. Metal valve's are better but for a spare I wouldn't consider it something to worry about.

Kevin

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

My 02. Metal valve's are better but for a spare I wouldn't consider it something to worry about.

exactly. Don't overthink this. What is important is having a rubber one that is not cracked.

SFVdave

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw them put the metal stem in. They changed out the bushing for the correct size of 6.25. But is this a 4.53 that's made for only a 4.53 or one that takes both? The largher ones I see on Amazon seem to have a larger inner metal plate. If the one they put in was only for 4.53 and has a smaller plate, I think I will end up with a problem. They assured me it works and isn't leaking. But will it blow out? Who knows what it's rated at for psi.
I may be over analyzing, but I don't want to put my familyt in harms way.

* This post was edited 03/22/21 06:00pm by SFVdave *

craz z

Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/21 12:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Order up the dually valve set. I would be extremely concerned if rubber stems are installed on a load E 80psi tire. Blowout is quickly on the horizon. I too have heard of hybrid rubbers that can take higher pressures but metal is cheap an simple to install 453 an 625 grommets are available too. There is a torque spec which is to not over squish the rubber. Usually if you buy a new stem both grommets are included this is also the case if you spring for the dually valve kit

I don't know what it is with tire companies but if it's metal or tpms don't know don't touch or heaven forbid replace with rubber. There are good ones out there but they are rare. I bought my own machine for tires out of pure distrust of incompetent tire shops

craz z

Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/21 12:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No you shouldn't worry. 453 an 625 are not interchangeable they either fit the hole or they don't. An no you don't use both only one that fits
The grommet is what seals when squished the plate below is large enough for compression on 453 or 625

Metal is good to 120 or higher as all semi trucks have metal stems as well

I've only had problems with rubber stems rarely with metal. On a ranch truck I made the mistake of putting on rubber an cranking the tires up to 80psi loaded. flats galore an sheared off stems due to overpressure I think there is literature out there stating 50psi is max for a rubber but then there is the hybrids that do go higher pressure which I have never used but can be an option.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Metal tire valve replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.