cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fool Proof Prime Rib

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Easter celebrations are coming. So is July 4th, birthdays, family reunions and whatever else you celebrate.

Cowboy Kent Rollins has an excellent Prime Rib method that I've tested and give an A+.
Kent Rollins' Fool Proof Prime Rib
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
16 REPLIES 16

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
cptqueeg wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:

Good thing about rare is you can always get it to temp in a pan. And gravy is subjective, especially if your Italian. Not all go by the freanch culinary institute definitions.

Oh jeezz, you've opened that (tomato) can of worms. ๐Ÿ˜‰

LOLOL.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

propchef
Explorer
Explorer

propchef
Explorer
Explorer

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:

Good thing about rare is you can always get it to temp in a pan. And gravy is subjective, especially if your Italian. Not all go by the freanch culinary institute definitions.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sjm9911 wrote:

2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sjm9911 wrote:
I do get that. My mom still swares by her 1950s ellecteic oven, lol.

I think everyone may have developed their own methods based on how their oven acts.

You're right about the gravy. French isn't the only way to go. Whenever I hear a chef act like they know everything and say other chefs don't I quickly tune them out. Everyone has different tastes. Mom's cooking creates a powerful emotional attachment to flavors too.

Magnus

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I prefer the reverse sear - the exact opposite of the method in op's video. The RS is a long cook at low temps, followed by the sear at high temps just before serving. It will hold for a long time waiting until the rest of the meal is ready to serve. This gives the cook more leeway especially if your guests are late or your other dishes don't finish cooking on time(cook has too many vodkas.) It also produces rare meat from edge to edge. I also find that 500F w a prime grade prime rib is a smokey, fire alarm triggering event.

I also have the butcher do an "off and on." The bones are sliced off the eye and tied back on w butcher twine. It cooks exactly the same and it's one less thing to waste time when you're trying to get the meal on the table.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
propchef wrote:
Buy a good thermometer and cook until the desired doneness. The "oven off" method will give different results in different ovens. My home oven won't even get to 500 (even though it says it does). Not everyone likes blood rare, and the cheaper ribs are from older animals and need a bit more cooking time, up to about 130-135.

FYI for Cowboy Kent: au jus is unthickened "drippings," jus lie is slightly thickened (usually with corn starch), gravy uses a flour roux.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I do get that. My mom still swares by her 1950s ellecteic oven, lol.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sjm9911 wrote:
Thats pretty much how i do mine when i dont smoke it. In fact thats the way ive been doing it for years. Its easy and works well. I let the oven sit for 3 hours off though.

It depends on the individual oven I suspect and how quickly it cools down. My gas oven cools down much quicker than our electric at home.

Magnus

propchef
Explorer
Explorer

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Thats pretty much how i do mine when i dont smoke it. In fact thats the way ive been doing it for years. Its easy and works well. I let the oven sit for 3 hours off though.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
You got that right.

Magnus