cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old vs New

familyguy819
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I wanted to get some opinions on whether we keep the rig we have, give it some TLC or spend some money on something newer.
What we have:
1999 32’ Fleetwood Bounder, 6.8L V10, F53 Chassis
What we are looking to do:
Pulling a 20’ enclosed with quads (5-6x a year),local camping and 2-3 long distance (3000) mile road trips per year.
It’s the gen 1 V10 so its a bit on the underpowered side. So far no real issues engine or transmission wise that has ever left us stranded.
My question to the forum is as follows: Is it worth it to keep our payed off rig, put a few dollars into it cosmetically(graphics and carpet) and mechanically, ( Banks kit,deep transmission pan with cooling fins, and a good round of preventative maintenance).
Or spend the money on a newer rig with low miles and enjoy the reliability and added power.
I understand this will ultimately come down to me, mainly wanted to get an idea of how reliable the F53/V10 will be for how much longer or should I save myself the headache and spend the cash.

Thanks in advance for the replies
2 REPLIES 2

Bruce_Brown
Please respond in other post.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
I just recently sold my 2002 Ford F-350 dual rear wheel 7.3 diesel with the about 123,000 miles on it. I have made a few modifications, treated it like one of my own. I would not and did not hesitate to hook up my 10000 lb travel trailer and haul it around the country. So if I were you I would take into consideration the cost of the mechanical maintenance versus a few months new truck payments. I would discount the Cosmetic work as that is a bit like elective surgery. I don't know anything about the V10, I've had several Ford's but never that engine. And so I have no idea what it's life is. You don't mention how many miles you have on it, but if you think it's good for a few more big trips oh, what the heck. There are lots of trucks and cars to be purchased whenever
and as soon as you buy one, they will come out with the bigger and brighter and shinier one. But as you say, ultimately it is your decision. Whatever, be safe and enjoy your trips.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."