Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear Kitchen - good idea or bad idea?

Lonnie07
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I am very interested in the Highland Ridge Open Range 2804RK, so I asked my local dealer about it. He said that Open Range has discontinued this model because rear kitchens take a beating during towing due to the bounce effect.

This was surprising since I still see it this model on the Highland Ridge website, but whatever - there are some used ones available, so I thought I’d check here.

Can people with rear kitchens please comment? Do you love your RK? Hate it?

Thank you!
23 REPLIES 23

Lonnie07
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments, everyone. As it happens we’ve decided on a rear living floorplan for now, but won’t hesitate to get a rear kitchen in the future if that’s the one we like.

Jframpey
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Jayco Eagle 31 RKDS. Rear kitchen - love the layout. And never have had any issue with any drawers or cabinets popping open. No dishes broken. The fridge is on the back wall and couldn’t keep the gas burner lit - I think it was the buffeting and vacuum at the rear face of the trailer while driving. I swapped for a 12 volt compressor fridge and have not regretted the change.

hussbuss
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Cruisers Enterra triple slide with a RK. First RK in over 50 years of camping. Love it. Should have got one years ago. 2 big windows out the back and full windows on the campsite side. It has setback axles on a frame built for a rear kitchen with trail air suspensun and shocks. Pulls and rides like a dream. Nothing ever moves off the counters. Buy what you want and remember, if the sales mans lips are moving, he is probably lieing.

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Catalina rear kitchen now going on 5 years and we have not had any issue with the fridge, cupboards, stuff moving around, items breaking, nothing. The turn table plate in the microwave moves around but we jammed a pool noodle between the plate and the top of the microwave oven top, solved that issue. Get the floor plan you want.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
Your local dealer is a fruit cake as he/she wants you to buy what floorplan they have in stock.
Get the trailer you desire and suits your needs...

That right there is the Absolute and Final Truth.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are all nuts.
Sane people know that the bouncing is not bad until you hang a bike rack off of the rear bumper.
:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
RickLight wrote:
Looked like an axe murder scene.

We had the same thing happen when the fridge didn't get latched before leaving home. The poor spaghetti sauce leapt to its doom, and left quite the crime scene. I'm still not sure how it got on the ceiling!

This was in a mid-kitchen, apparently I take corners too hard. So, I think the rear kitchen is not the only one with mess making opportunities.

CC

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
We too were warned of fridges in the rear, breaking eggs. 2 years no issues.

We have been down some baaaad roads. Smooth driving with hidden dips, breaks and worse. Last summer after 100 miles of that, a jar of spaghetti sauce leaped out of the upper cupboard and hit the sink edge. Looked like an axe murder scene.

Turns out the cheap bin on the shelf had broken releasing enough weight to open the cupboard. Took a while to clean up and get the smell out,

Our canned food now lives in drawer.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two travel trailers and one fifth wheel with rear kitchens. One time the silverware drawer swapped a couple items, but no issues. That is after tens of thousands of miles. Buy the unit you like.
The sales person is just that---SALES!

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Your dealer full of BS. I'm on my second RK son has his first. That model maybe discontinued but they still make RK's. Highland Ridge is a Jayco product, here is a similar 2021 Jay Flight 29RK.

You will find some of the RK's have 3 tanks, 2 gray and 1 black so you end up with two discharge outlets. Mine did, for about $50 I was able to tie the two outlet drains to a single discharge.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
We've had a rear kitchen in our 02 Cougar had 17 years it till we bought out 2019 Eagle with a rear kitchen and never had a problem with either with stuff bouncing around or breaking. Wife loves the rear kitchen models due to more counter space and people not having to walk around or through the kitchen area while she's cooking.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The only issue we had was a 1/8" thick drawer bottom broke from having a 12" cast iron skillet in it. I replaced it with 1/4" plywood.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Of course the rear bounces the most, it is simple geometry. I had the cheap plastic pantry shelves collapse, probably because of the bouncing. After adding shock absorbers I had no other issues.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Used to have a RK...much preferred the layout and never any issues.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV