cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear Storage Mod.

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
I needed durable exterior storage for things such as the power cord, propane bottles, gas can, ladders, hoses, fire pit etc. not enough room in the front bullhead storage and don’t really like that stuff in the basement. So, I set out to fabricate a custom rear storage compartment that had the look as if it came this way (except that it is so much stronger than the EOM would have made it. I had a design in mind and a fabricator friend built it to spec for me. It is all steel construction welded and weather proof. 92x24x21 with offset lid and integrated roof ladder (modified from its original 90 degree mounting) with all steel horizontal mounting flanges. The finish is 2 tone power coat with semi reseeded LED tail/brake lights.

2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’
12 REPLIES 12

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
Roger10378 wrote:
It looks nice. My concern would be the amount of weight you have added way at the back. You need to get to a scale and make sure you still have at least 18 percent of your total on the pin. Otherwise it may be very unstable driving.

I haven’t weighed it. Just pulled it over 1000 miles. Was as solid as before. I figure the washer in the overhead closet up front pretty much compensates for the weight change.

JRscooby wrote:
Do you have a vent oi the bottom incase that propane tank heats to overpressure? Opening a box full of fuel/air mix would be more risk than collision.

I did not think about any ventilation. I’ll have to re-think the propane tank storage. Maybe some long line adapters from front tanks and skip the spare.
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.

Happy Campin’

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looking GOOD!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
Great looking box...... Nice work, My only issue would be carrying propane back there... in the event of a rear end collision, that would be ugly. But that may just be me...

The propane tank is pretty tough. Impact is more likely to shove it, and rest of box, into the trailer than "turn ugly"
OP, looks good to me. But I do have a question; Do you have a vent oi the bottom incase that propane tank heats to overpressure? Opening a box full of fuel/air mix would be more risk than collision

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks nice. My concern would be the amount of weight you have added way at the back. You need to get to a scale and make sure you still have at least 18 percent of your total on the pin. Otherwise it may be very unstable driving.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. The storage is really valuable. I did a similar project on my 2011 Avalon shortly after I got it. Best mod yet.....

Happy Campin’

That looks really awesome!

And I can appreciate how much work it was to build because I have one on the back of our TT.

It is soooooo nice to have a place to stow things like the shore power cable, the ground mats for under the awning, the hitch and eq bars when not in use, extra hoses, wood blocks, camp chairs and more.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments. It was a difficult task. The coroplast had to come out to work on the frame portion and did that after a catastrophic tank leak which prompted a replacement and discovery of an absolute installation mess of all the wiring, plumbing and hydraulic lines (which is a whole other story). So, this was a 3 phase project that has been going on since late October. Actually led to insulating with R19 and installation of on board air and automatic reel. Fall and winter were very busy with it. Pretty good weather allowed for it. Even squeezed in a week trip last month too.

Happy Campin’

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
I love it!!! Great job!

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
The ladder is totally supported by the box. It has a cross member inside of the box terminating the flanges. Lots more support than the 90 degree bend and flanges holding it by 8 screws on the fiberglass panel by the OEM. housing a spare 20 lb propane bottle probably doesn’t carry any more or less risk that the 2 30 lb bottles up front in the fiberglass storage compartments. The boxed steel construction of the rear box is really strong and most likely has a bit more integrity than the fiberglass ones up front. Perhaps not as exposed to hazard as a side impact but definitely stronger.

Happy Campin’

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed...great mod but I too wouldn’t carry propane there.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Great looking box...... Nice work, My only issue would be carrying propane back there... in the event of a rear end collision, that would be ugly. But that may just be me...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful job. Does the ladder simply pass through your storage top and is not supported by it?