cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ground wires

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a bird's nest on ground wires under my 2020 Jayco 26xd class C. One of the many things I want to do is clean this mess up. Probably about 15, looks like #12 white wires coming out of the house to 2 bus bars that have 2 or 3 wires going to each terminal. The bus are anchored to the frame which I assumed is the grounding point. Anyway it's a mess. My question should I continue to use the bus bars with groups of wires going to one terminal or should I pick up a couple of multi point bus bars and use one wire to one terminal?? As always all advise is appreciated.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
10 REPLIES 10

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Since this bothers you and I guess you want to tinker and make it better. I would take each white Ground wire, install a ring terminal, solder after crimping and drill a hole thru the frame and use star washers and secure a few wires to each new bolt stud. 15 wires, I would install 5 bolts and install 3 wire ring terminals on each new stud bolt. THEN undercoat each stud. never have to worry about looseness or corrosion. Doug

YES, That is how Jayco runs their 12 volt ground wires.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Ed_Gee wrote:
I have always thought of ground wires as GREEN. WHITE wires signify a neutral line. Now sure exactly why you have a bunch of any of that coming out of your RV house bottom, but I agree with previous poster.... leave them alone. At least until you know exactly what their function is.. Sure as heck wouldn't recommend messing with neutral wires... which may or may not be bonded to your chassis.

White Wires on 95% of RV's are 12 volt GROUND. Winnebago was one that used Green for 12 volt ground. NEUTRAL Romex wires should be solid core. 12 volt will be stranded wires. 120 Power cord and Genset 120 output will be stranded. Doug

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
One buss bar is always better.

Also, it is better to run grounds all the way back to the buss bar from each load.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the input. I'll just bundle them up a bit so they aren't hanging all over the place, grease them up an let them be.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Clean them up good, coat the lugs and wiring terminations with electrical de-oxidation grease and leave as is.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Wire colors in an RV can be a bit of a guess. But in general the manufacturers use white wires for the 12v grounds in the house portion.

I third leaving them alone.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
His collection of white wires are for 12v IMO, and should be called "negative" wires, but that does not matter much. Somewhere else on the frame will be the actual "ground" wire connection for the RV's 120v system.

The RV's 120v and the 12v systems share the frame for that. On the 120v side, the real ground (Earth) is back at the 120v pedestal supply where it is bonded to the "neutral" while out at the RV the "neutrals" are on a neutral buss NOT bonded to the "ground" going to the frame.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Theres nothing wrong w/ several wires going into 1 terminal.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
I have always thought of ground wires as GREEN. WHITE wires signify a neutral line. Now sure exactly why you have a bunch of any of that coming out of your RV house bottom, but I agree with previous poster.... leave them alone. At least until you know exactly what their function is.. Sure as heck wouldn't recommend messing with neutral wires... which may or may not be bonded to your chassis.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO leave it be. It is normal to have a bunch of "grounds" going together to the frame. At least they used buss bars. Some RVs use extra big wire nuts for that job.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.