cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1800watt nuwave oven

jimbo4UT
Explorer
Explorer
Rv is 30 amp. Can I plug this oven and use it without popping a breaker?

Thanks in advance

Jimbo
14 REPLIES 14

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1875 watt 1.7 CF unit. It came with a 500 mm 14/3 20 amp plug. It is a commercial oven.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh one other recommendation.. a KILL-A-Watt. Meter. This is a plug in and then plug into meter that measures voltage, Current and the phase relationship between them (power factor) and more. It's about 1000 to 1500 worth of meters in, last I checked a 25 dollar box. Oh it measures frequency too (for you generator users)

I have found it fairly accurate (At least mine is)
You plug the oven into it and well.. It will tell you the ACTUAL draw if you push the right buttons.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
RichB3125 wrote:
We have been using the NuWave and it's previous models for 20+ years our RVs (both 30 and 50 amp) with no problems. It is a UL listed appliance for home countertop use.

Rich

The old style nuwave induction cooker only draws 1300 watts and then only on the maximum setting or when first starting to warm the pan. The newer ones draw more, which is unfortunate.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Being a bit of watt freak, I always check my devices. Rarely is the name plate accurate. I find, in general, that the wattage listed is too high for the "real life" output.

Of course wattage in resistance devices is affected by the square of the voltage.

Having worked on products with "nameplate amps/watts draw" yes, in most cases actual draw will be less than the nameplate states. The nameplate rating must take into account worst case draw under all conditions including variations in draw based on design tolerances and also line voltage tolerances.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

RichB3125
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using the NuWave and it's previous models for 20+ years our RVs (both 30 and 50 amp) with no problems. It is a UL listed appliance for home countertop use.

Rich

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The short answer is yes. but.. Be careful.
First you will newed to turn off most everything
Second the wiring in your RV is likely not up to "Grade" for that oven. you may burn out the outlet or an up-line outlet it's plugged into.

My RV was a 50 amp and I added "Kitchen 2" circuit. New breaker 12ga wire, GFCI *15/20 amp model* and a daisy off the gfci 15/20 outlet.

NO overheated wires on that line
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Being a bit of watt freak, I always check my devices. Rarely is the name plate accurate. I find, in general, that the wattage listed is too high for the "real life" output.

Of course wattage in resistance devices is affected by the square of the voltage.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was worried about much the same thing so decided to add an Extra Circuit Problem solved.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Code allows 1875 watts on a 15-amp circuit. BUT into a dedicated single receptacle. The plug if it has one decides the correct circuit for the unit. My monster Samsung is 100% stainless steel, and it came with a 20-amp plug. The merchant could not sell it, so I bagged it for $105 It will violently boil 4 cups of water in under a minute. The tag on the back says 17.8 amps

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
as long as you have two things
1) a 20 A circuit
2) a outlet that is a 20A outlet, not a 15A outlet.

I believe if the device really has a draw 1800W by NEC code it must have a 20A plug. 1800W is right at the limit for a 15A breaker.

It's common on 20A circuits to have 15A duplex outlets rather than 20A duplex outlets. If the trailer only has 15A outlets, you won't be able to plug it in, a 20A plug has one prong perpendicular to the other rather than two parallel prongs for the hot and neutral.

But then it is pretty uncommon to find home appliances, even in the kitchen, that have a draw that requires a 20A plug. for things like a microwave the 20A breaker requirement comes from the % draw NEC allows for a single dedicated device on a circuit, NEC limits the dedicated device draw to something like 80% of the breaker rating.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
This thing?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nuwave-Bravo-XL-1800-Watt-Convection-Oven/275948146?wmlspartner=wlpa&sele...

I don't think you will have any trouble.... However I recommend you unplug your MW and use that outlet as it is often a 20 amp circuit. Or try to use it on less than the max power level.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimbo4UT wrote:
Cooking wattage

Check the back label for the "input 120v watts required". For 1800w cooking you are into the 2xxx watts and will need a 20a (120v) circuit and the plug-in for that. (the MW should have a 20a plug already)

A 30a RV could handle that if nothing much else is on at the same time.

if installed and you can't see the receptacle, check the breaker panel to see if the MW has its own 20a breaker. Should be ok if so. then it is all about power management on your part to , eg, don't have the WH on electric while running the MW or whatever your choices are. (Fridge is another) The converter could be a big one too if the batteries are low just then. MW is not on very long so no big deal leaving the other things off for that short of a time.

Just need to train DW and not get too many dirty looks! ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

jimbo4UT
Explorer
Explorer
Cooking wattage

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the 1800w? The cooking power or the input watts required as seen on the label on the back? EG a "1000w" MW will want more like 1500w input.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.