cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inverter/Converter

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
OK, a question for you all. I have a Xantrex 1000 watt converter. It's new, BUT it will not charge my house batteries. It is within the one year warranty but Xantrex will not honor it. I (and the RV shop) have been fighting with them for 7 months now (yep, that's right) and I'm ready to just give it up. So I can do one of two things; buy a different brand inverter and spend $1800 installed, or just buy a 60 amp converter to charge my batteries and convert 120 to 12V. The RV place will sell me the converter at cost with two hours of labor for install.

We do not boondock, and most of the time here in FL when traveling we have the genny on to run one of the roof A/C units because of the dogs. So for the time being we do not really need the inverter. My inclination is to go with the converter for now (money is a bit tight for the moment) and maybe next year put a new inverter in the budget.

So am I missing something? Any thoughts? (I'm going to post this as well on the iRV2 site)

Al
19 REPLIES 19

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok an inverter charger has TWO 120 volt lines going to it. In and out. That said some RV inverter only have automatic pass through but usually those are smaller and thus have IN and OUT lines. Your device model number will tell me and the owner's manual for the device shold tell you.

I would recommend a Progressive Dynamics 9200P the last two digits are determined by your battery size... (I will explain the P) Figure the C-20 battery capacity
Group 24 75
Gropu 27/29 just under/over 100
Group 31 130
Group 4D or a pair of GC-2 220

Multipley by 0.3

Get as close as you can to that. So 2 pair of GC-2 9280 (Biggest they make)
One pair 9260

These units have a 20 amp plug so you will need to make an adapt-a-cable or if there is a power in lead taped off at the converter just install a 20 amp 15/20 amp outlet (They have a "T" shaped neutral)

I've not found a better converter
Make an adapter cord in any case.. I've been on 20 amp sites and I plugged in my PD9180+wizard and used the inverter to power the house 120 volt stuff

Oh I said I'd explain the P.. P-lug in
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Honestly I prefer separate components for this very reason. For $150 (link above) you can have a converter to work alongside the inverter/charger that no longer charges. Put the higher rated charger money toward the new converter and just move forward. If the inverter stops inverting replace with a stand alone inverter and separate transfer switch. Either way I am sure you will be back on the road soon.

That is a great idea. And why I posted! Now if we can just get the inverter/converter back...:(

Al

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Honestly I prefer separate components for this very reason. For $150 (link above) you can have a converter to work alongside the inverter/charger that no longer charges. Put the higher rated charger money toward the new converter and just move forward. If the inverter stops inverting replace with a stand alone inverter and separate transfer switch. Either way I am sure you will be back on the road soon.

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
FloridaRosebud wrote:
Again, I'm not asking folks to help me fix this. I just had the simple question in my OP about running just a charger for awhile based on my situation. I thought I was clear.
Yes about any battery charger is fine to keep your battery up and use the RV is fine. I recommend 5+ amps rated if spending money but 20+ amps is better if you will be using the RV.

Sorry, we try to fix everything around here 😉

Everything is slow right now. I recently shipped a programmer for replacement. (not Xantrex) First class mail was 2-3 days actually took 28 days and then no access due to snow storm. Took another week. Then another 10 days to process and return. I feel your pain. Could ask for a tracking number.

We are guys, so fixing stuff is what we do!! I hear you about shipping, but you would at least think calls would be returned. AFA the charger, I have an 8 amp one I'm using (already had it in the garage) but on occasion it trips out (it's own internal protection) due to an overcurrent, so your 20amp suggestion is a good one. That might be the cheapest way to go until I can budget for a new inverter/converter. We are having our roof redone, so that's a large expense and kind of killed the budget this year.

At this stage of my life I tend to pay folks to do some things. I'm and EE, and have always been someone who does my own work, including wiring a house. I've been all over that RV, and will be helping a friend upgrade his RV electrical system from 30 and to 50 amp. However, some stuff I'd rather pay someone you do, like changing out my fridge to a residential one. I haven't decided if I will do the inverter/converter myself. Depends on what my RV shop does for me. So we shall see.

Al

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
FloridaRosebud wrote:
If the budget would allow I'd put in a new inverter/charger and be done, and let everyone know of the poor customer service Xantrex has. Right now I have a 12V trickle charger set up to charge the batteries when on shore power or on genny and I want to be rid of that before we start our camping this year.

Do it once and do it right. (Or ... you will only cry once !)

Get rid of that Xantrex inverter/charger and buy a good inverter(pure sine wave, yours is not)/charger/automatic transfer switch.

That is the eventual plan, but not doable right now.

Al

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaRosebud wrote:
If the budget would allow I'd put in a new inverter/charger and be done, and let everyone know of the poor customer service Xantrex has. Right now I have a 12V trickle charger set up to charge the batteries when on shore power or on genny and I want to be rid of that before we start our camping this year.

Do it once and do it right. (Or ... you will only cry once !)

Get rid of that Xantrex inverter/charger and buy a good inverter(pure sine wave, yours is not)/charger/automatic transfer switch.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
FloridaRosebud wrote:
Again, I'm not asking folks to help me fix this. I just had the simple question in my OP about running just a charger for awhile based on my situation. I thought I was clear.
Yes about any battery charger is fine to keep your battery up and use the RV is fine. I recommend 5+ amps rated if spending money but 20+ amps is better if you will be using the RV.

Sorry, we try to fix everything around here 😉

Everything is slow right now. I recently shipped a programmer for replacement. (not Xantrex) First class mail was 2-3 days actually took 28 days and then no access due to snow storm. Took another week. Then another 10 days to process and return. I feel your pain. Could ask for a tracking number.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP:
What is exact number of your Xantrex unit? You said it was a Xantrex 1000 then you say it is a Freedom 458
These are completely different units!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Xantrex does not have poor service. I have been dealing with them for 30 years. From when they were Heart and Trace. Xantrex is the company from the Heart/Trace merger. What they do have is disdain for so called Techs and Service centers that do not install the correct product for the applications. NOT installed to spec or they have a problem with the customer or Service Center NOT giving them adequate info and they will not just replace parts or complete Inverter/Chargers.
NOW, I take YOU to task. You stated just a 1000 watt Xantrex. You then repost and state you either had a 458 or you are installing a 458. Now, the 458 series is a 2000 or 2500 watt Inverter/Charger, NOT A 1000 WATT. So, from your 2 posts, you could not adequately explain your problem and what was done to your RV. We still don't know. So, how is Xantrex supposed to get to a resolution when you cannot even post a easy description of your problem? Doug

Man, this is getting silly. To the first point you made - Xantrex has had the unit since October. That's right, October. They would not return calls from me or the RV shop, then got around to finally looking at it in early February. I call that terrible service. Now they said it was a power surge (I investigate things like that for a living and I would testify in court that it was not) and they were sending it back SIX WEEKS AGO. They offered to fix it for $1400 but I declined. I want to examine the unit myself, BUT we still don't have it yet. Again, terrible service.

What is is is a Series 458 Freedom 10, and I'm looking at the manual right now and it says it's a 1000 watt inverter with 50 amps of battery charging current. If I could, I would give you the serial number and such but again, I do not have it!!

Al

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Xantrex 1000 indicates it is an inverter with no charger.
What is make and model of your rig?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Xantrex does not have poor service. I have been dealing with them for 30 years. From when they were Heart and Trace. Xantrex is the company from the Heart/Trace merger. What they do have is disdain for so called Techs and Service centers that do not install the correct product for the applications. NOT installed to spec or they have a problem with the customer or Service Center NOT giving them adequate info and they will not just replace parts or complete Inverter/Chargers.
NOW, I take YOU to task. You stated just a 1000 watt Xantrex. You then repost and state you either had a 458 or you are installing a 458. Now, the 458 series is a 2000 or 2500 watt Inverter/Charger, NOT A 1000 WATT. So, from your 2 posts, you could not adequately explain your problem and what was done to your RV. We still don't know. So, how is Xantrex supposed to get to a resolution when you cannot even post a easy description of your problem? Doug

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is a 120v battery charger direct connected to the batteries and plugged into the coach somewhere for a hundred bucks. Install it yourself and use it for a year while saving for a replacement inverter/charger.

Contact xantrex yourself to understand why they refuse warrantee coverage. If their contention is an installation error, why isn't your installer warranteeing their work and replacing the unit they destroyed.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Post the actual model number of the Xantrex.

Or spring $145 for a converter. Boondocker 1235CL $145

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Al,

Did you read the manual that came with the Xantrex 1000?
I have installed a couple (give or take) and as I recall, it is not an inverter/converter/charger.

If it was sold to you as a replacement for a Freedom Series 458 inverter/charger, then someone did not know what he was selling. I suggest that you talk to him in a very convincing way.

If it works as an inverter (Make 120VAC from 12VDC), leave it alone and buy a good converter/charger like Iota or Progressive Dynamics.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.