Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Inverter/Converter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Inverter/Converter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Xantrex 1000 indicates it is an inverter with no charger.
What is make and model of your rig?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Xantrex does not have poor service. I have been dealing with them for 30 years. From when they were Heart and Trace. Xantrex is the company from the Heart/Trace merger. What they do have is disdain for so called Techs and Service centers that do not install the correct product for the applications. NOT installed to spec or they have a problem with the customer or Service Center NOT giving them adequate info and they will not just replace parts or complete Inverter/Chargers.
NOW, I take YOU to task. You stated just a 1000 watt Xantrex. You then repost and state you either had a 458 or you are installing a 458. Now, the 458 series is a 2000 or 2500 watt Inverter/Charger, NOT A 1000 WATT. So, from your 2 posts, you could not adequately explain your problem and what was done to your RV. We still don't know. So, how is Xantrex supposed to get to a resolution when you cannot even post a easy description of your problem? Doug

Man, this is getting silly. To the first point you made - Xantrex has had the unit since October. That's right, October. They would not return calls from me or the RV shop, then got around to finally looking at it in early February. I call that terrible service. Now they said it was a power surge (I investigate things like that for a living and I would testify in court that it was not) and they were sending it back SIX WEEKS AGO. They offered to fix it for $1400 but I declined. I want to examine the unit myself, BUT we still don't have it yet. Again, terrible service.

What is is is a Series 458 Freedom 10, and I'm looking at the manual right now and it says it's a 1000 watt inverter with 50 amps of battery charging current. If I could, I would give you the serial number and such but again, I do not have it!!

Again, I'm not asking folks to help me fix this. I just had the simple question in my OP about running just a charger for awhile based on my situation. I thought I was clear.

Al

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP:
What is exact number of your Xantrex unit? You said it was a Xantrex 1000 then you say it is a Freedom 458
These are completely different units!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FloridaRosebud wrote:

Again, I'm not asking folks to help me fix this. I just had the simple question in my OP about running just a charger for awhile based on my situation. I thought I was clear.
Yes about any battery charger is fine to keep your battery up and use the RV is fine. I recommend 5+ amps rated if spending money but 20+ amps is better if you will be using the RV.

Sorry, we try to fix everything around here [emoticon]

Everything is slow right now. I recently shipped a programmer for replacement. (not Xantrex) First class mail was 2-3 days actually took 28 days and then no access due to snow storm. Took another week. Then another 10 days to process and return. I feel your pain. Could ask for a tracking number.

* This post was edited 03/21/21 11:42am by time2roll *

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FloridaRosebud wrote:

If the budget would allow I'd put in a new inverter/charger and be done, and let everyone know of the poor customer service Xantrex has. Right now I have a 12V trickle charger set up to charge the batteries when on shore power or on genny and I want to be rid of that before we start our camping this year.

Do it once and do it right. (Or ... you will only cry once !)

Get rid of that Xantrex inverter/charger and buy a good inverter(pure sine wave, yours is not)/charger/automatic transfer switch.

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

FloridaRosebud wrote:

If the budget would allow I'd put in a new inverter/charger and be done, and let everyone know of the poor customer service Xantrex has. Right now I have a 12V trickle charger set up to charge the batteries when on shore power or on genny and I want to be rid of that before we start our camping this year.

Do it once and do it right. (Or ... you will only cry once !)

Get rid of that Xantrex inverter/charger and buy a good inverter(pure sine wave, yours is not)/charger/automatic transfer switch.

That is the eventual plan, but not doable right now.

Al

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

FloridaRosebud wrote:

Yes about any battery charger is fine to keep your battery up and use the RV is fine. I recommend 5+ amps rated if spending money but 20+ amps is better if you will be using the RV.

Sorry, we try to fix everything around here [emoticon]

Everything is slow right now. I recently shipped a programmer for replacement. (not Xantrex) First class mail was 2-3 days actually took 28 days and then no access due to snow storm. Took another week. Then another 10 days to process and return. I feel your pain. Could ask for a tracking number.

We are guys, so fixing stuff is what we do!! I hear you about shipping, but you would at least think calls would be returned. AFA the charger, I have an 8 amp one I'm using (already had it in the garage) but on occasion it trips out (it's own internal protection) due to an overcurrent, so your 20amp suggestion is a good one. That might be the cheapest way to go until I can budget for a new inverter/converter. We are having our roof redone, so that's a large expense and kind of killed the budget this year.

At this stage of my life I tend to pay folks to do some things. I'm and EE, and have always been someone who does my own work, including wiring a house. I've been all over that RV, and will be helping a friend upgrade his RV electrical system from 30 and to 50 amp. However, some stuff I'd rather pay someone you do, like changing out my fridge to a residential one. I haven't decided if I will do the inverter/converter myself. Depends on what my RV shop does for me. So we shall see.

Al

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/21 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly I prefer separate components for this very reason. For $150 (link above) you can have a converter to work alongside the inverter/charger that no longer charges. Put the higher rated charger money toward the new converter and just move forward. If the inverter stops inverting replace with a stand alone inverter and separate transfer switch. Either way I am sure you will be back on the road soon.

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Honestly I prefer separate components for this very reason. For $150 (link above) you can have a converter to work alongside the inverter/charger that no longer charges. Put the higher rated charger money toward the new converter and just move forward. If the inverter stops inverting replace with a stand alone inverter and separate transfer switch. Either way I am sure you will be back on the road soon.

That is a great idea. And why I posted! Now if we can just get the inverter/converter back...[emoticon]

Al

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok an inverter charger has TWO 120 volt lines going to it. In and out. That said some RV inverter only have automatic pass through but usually those are smaller and thus have IN and OUT lines. Your device model number will tell me and the owner's manual for the device shold tell you.

I would recommend a Progressive Dynamics 9200P the last two digits are determined by your battery size... (I will explain the P) Figure the C-20 battery capacity
Group 24 75
Gropu 27/29 just under/over 100
Group 31 130
Group 4D or a pair of GC-2 220

Multipley by 0.3

Get as close as you can to that. So 2 pair of GC-2 9280 (Biggest they make)
One pair 9260

These units have a 20 amp plug so you will need to make an adapt-a-cable or if there is a power in lead taped off at the converter just install a 20 amp 15/20 amp outlet (They have a "T" shaped neutral)

I've not found a better converter
Make an adapter cord in any case.. I've been on 20 amp sites and I plugged in my PD9180+wizard and used the inverter to power the house 120 volt stuff

Oh I said I'd explain the P.. P-lug in

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Inverter/Converter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.