Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Hwy 36 across Kansas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Hwy 36 across Kansas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will be leaving the Denver area heading to Saint Joseph MO and plan to go hwy 36.

Other than seeing alot of Kansas landscape is there anything else one should stop at and not miss? Its about a 10hr trip for me so plan on one over night, maybe two if there are things to no miss.

Your help with sights would be helpful. I also posted this on irv2 with not much response. Hope that doesn't mean there's not much to see

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used Prairie Dog State Park as an overnight when crossing Kansas on route 36. Nice campground on a lake with a Prairie Dog town and wild Turkeys. We were there in May.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450">

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wife says there are only 2 good ways to see Kansas... at night or from 36,000’. I use I-70 so it only takes a day to put it behind me. The excitement used to be which side of the highway the tumble weed was on... not as much of it any more. Hopefully you’ll have a tailwind so it takes less time.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Heisenberg

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do not like tourists Kansas is a good place to live.

2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found Scott county lake/campground to be sort of interesting. drive up to it over flat country and the lake drops down away. Chalk pyramids interesting and then of course there is the world's largest ball of twine and I think largest hand dug well is also in KS. I'd probably take the interstate across however to avoid local stop and go and manure spreaders on the highway.
IIRC on one raffle/drawing second prize was two weeks in KS. first prize was one week.
bumpy

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I prefer US 36 over I-70.
As CloudDriver mentioned Prairie Dog SP is a nice stop.
North of Lebanon KS is the geographic center of the lower 48 states. Nice picnic area but that's about it.
Near Republic KS is the Pawnee Indian Museum which is very nice.
At Maryville KS is a Pony Express Museum but I don't know if it's open. It was closed due to covid.

Camped in every state

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not traveled hwy 36 west of 135/81 but have drove from 81 going East. East it is rolling hills small towns and farmland. Don't know what your interested in.

Campgrounds at Wilson, Milford and Tuttle creek reservoirs or nice to spend time at but are along I-70. Along with the Eisenhower Museum and Walter Chrysler's boyhood home. Another neat thing is Atomic Annie a cannon that would launch a atom bomb, closed for now freadom park FT Riley.

There is a guide Ohio to CO US 36 guide.Com that have more information.

You can also go to hwy 36 Trip Advisor web site for more information.

* This post was last edited 03/21/21 04:33pm by colliehauler *   View edit history

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

The wife says there are only 2 good ways to see Kansas... at night or from 36,000’. I use I-70 so it only takes a day to put it behind me. The excitement used to be which side of the highway the tumble weed was on... not as much of it any more. Hopefully you’ll have a tailwind so it takes less time.
Isn't the Blairsville area where they filmed Deleverance?

Bob806

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny you mention this, I've already booked a couple places in Kansas this summer, on the way home from Colorado. We've never camped in Kansas.

Lake Scott SP, then on to Wilson SP, up north to Cawker City & the world's largest Ball of Twine, then across US 36 to Macon, Mo and Long Branch SP.

Hey, I've met a few folks from Kansas at various campgrounds, and they say to skip Kansas, but I want to explore. The SPs in Kansas look pretty nice to me, so why not.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When driving east in Ks watch yourself real close, and be sure you don't have anything they might frown at with you.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Hwy 36 across Kansas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.