Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Hwy 36 across Kansas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Hwy 36 across Kansas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has been a go to route for me for several trips from CO to IN. I prefer the drive versus I-70 or I-80. Small towns every 30 or so miles apart, don't really slow you down that much and provide break stops when needed.

I have also stayed at Prairie Dog SP for an overnight, it's a really nice park and campground with several sections. Had a FHU site in a new section with nice views of the lake. I've also stayed at Lovewell Lake SP, which is a bit further off US 36 but worth the detour. Also a very nice SP, with several different sections. Stayed in a section with a lot of big trees for shade and FHU pull thru sites. Both of these state parks were reasonably priced.

If you (or anyone else) has the need to continue on, US 36 across Missouri is also worthwhile compared to the I's. Four lanes all the way across; still some towns to go through but like KS, provides good stopping/stretching/fuelling points.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are just passing through, Marysville has a city park with free camping with electric hook-ups. If I recall correctly there was also a dump station.

36 is nice road with most of it being at decent speeds without the worry of the posted 80 mph interstate speeds.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob806 wrote:

Funny you mention this, I've already booked a couple places in Kansas this summer, on the way home from Colorado. We've never camped in Kansas.

Lake Scott SP, then on to Wilson SP, up north to Cawker City & the world's largest Ball of Twine, then across US 36 to Macon, Mo and Long Branch SP.

Hey, I've met a few folks from Kansas at various campgrounds, and they say to skip Kansas, but I want to explore. The SPs in Kansas look pretty nice to me, so why not.
The state parks at the KS lakes are not bad.

Bob806

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Bob806 wrote:

Funny you mention this, I've already booked a couple places in Kansas this summer, on the way home from Colorado. We've never camped in Kansas.

Lake Scott SP, then on to Wilson SP, up north to Cawker City & the world's largest Ball of Twine, then across US 36 to Macon, Mo and Long Branch SP.

Hey, I've met a few folks from Kansas at various campgrounds, and they say to skip Kansas, but I want to explore. The SPs in Kansas look pretty nice to me, so why not.

It sure looks like that's true. Kansas Dept. of Wildlife & Tourism sent me a bunch of info on the state parks, which I appreciated.

I looked at Prairie Dog & Meade, Kanapolis & Elk City too but we just don't have the time to hit them all up on this trip.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob806 wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Bob806 wrote:

It sure looks like that's true. Kansas Dept. of Wildlife & Tourism sent me a bunch of info on the state parks, which I appreciated.

I looked at Prairie Dog & Meade, Kanapolis & Elk City too but we just don't have the time to hit them all up on this trip.
Milford has some great RV sites. Hope you enjoy your trip.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heisenberg wrote:

If you do not like tourists Kansas is a good place to live.
Kansas saw 35.6 million tourist in 2018, hardly insignificant. A 50 percent increase since 2009.

Mayor30

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/21 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ended up in Kansas many years ago due to a break down. There is a lot to see in Kansas. Pony Express museum in Marysville and Hollenberg. First Territorial State capitol. Ft Riley infantry museum. Museum of Telephany and Eisenhower Home in Abilene.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Hwy 36 across Kansas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.