Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Dead Onan 4000 generator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Dead Onan 4000 generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
DouglasC

Grand Haven, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 04/03/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/21/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went to fire up my Onan 4000 generator for the 1st time this year. Held the Start/Prime switch down on Prime and the light came on and flashed like usual. After about 5 seconds I released the switch as usual and pushed the Start side of the switch. Nothing happened - - totally dead. Tried the Prime side of switch again - - nothing happened. Last time this happened (generator dead) 7 years ago the cause was a faulty circuit board that needed to be replaced.

Anything else I should be checking before I order a new circuit board?


Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy


madjack60

littleton

New Member

Joined: 03/02/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/21/21 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same problem with my onan 6500. I cleaned the battery cable connection at the battery and all was good. What threw me off is all the coach lights worked but the gen was dead.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2009

View Profile



Posted: 03/21/21 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have 12VDC at the generator?


Is it time for your medication or mine?


2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DouglasC

Grand Haven, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 04/03/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/21/21 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apparently I do have 12 VDC at the generator because the light came on when I 1st went to Prime the generator. But I will definitely check to make sure that there is 12VDC at the generator before I order a new circuit board.

I just reconnected all the battery cables to the coach batteries before attempting to start the generator so the connections are all clean.

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

Senior Member

Joined: 05/13/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 03/21/21 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DouglasC wrote:

Apparently I do have 12 VDC at the generator because the light came on when I 1st went to Prime the generator. But I will definitely check to make sure that there is 12VDC at the generator before I order a new circuit board.

I just reconnected all the battery cables to the coach batteries before attempting to start the generator so the connections are all clean.


The light may come on even if there is 10 or 11 volts. It will not turn over unless it sees a certain voltage or greater. Don’t assume by the light coming on . Measure it at terminals where it goes into generator. There is also a relay under the enclosure that is a start relay that goes bad. They can be purchased at an auto parts store. How do i know... been there done that


Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Yaesu FTDX101D, Ameritron AL-80 Amp, Icom 7100, Yaesu FT-991A
Steve and Joy
2010 Allegro Bus 43 QBP . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie


ajriding

st clair

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/21/21 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, clean. Use a battery cleaning agent (do internet search for how to clean) on terminals and any electrical connection. It is amazing how two metals can touch, look clean, yet not conduct electricity. Start here, this is free.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/22/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume you are trying the remote switch in the house, have you tried the switch on the generator it's self?


2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

DouglasC

Grand Haven, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 04/03/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/22/21 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

I assume you are trying the remote switch in the house, have you tried the switch on the generator it's self?


Yes, I have been tried the switch on the generator after the remote switch failed to work in starting it. No luck there either.

DouglasC

Grand Haven, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 04/03/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/22/21 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ranger Smith wrote:

DouglasC wrote:

Apparently I do have 12 VDC at the generator because the light came on when I 1st went to Prime the generator. But I will definitely check to make sure that there is 12VDC at the generator before I order a new circuit board.

I just reconnected all the battery cables to the coach batteries before attempting to start the generator so the connections are all clean.


The light may come on even if there is 10 or 11 volts. It will not turn over unless it sees a certain voltage or greater. Don’t assume by the light coming on . Measure it at terminals where it goes into generator. There is also a relay under the enclosure that is a start relay that goes bad. They can be purchased at an auto parts store. How do i know... been there done that


OK - - I tested the voltage coming into the generator - - 12.9 VDC. If the problem was only a bad starter relay, why wouldn't the primer still work? I'm still leaning toward a bad circuit board since nothing works - - the generator appears to be dead!

DrewE

Vermont

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/22/21 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked the 12V fuse on the generator? It's an easy, low-hanging fruit sort of check. Checking that all the connectors in the guts of the generator (through the firewall) are clean and tight is also worth checking/trying.





Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Dead Onan 4000 generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.