Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Bringing Trailer in for Service - Need Advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Bringing Trailer in for Service - Need Advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

InTheRockies wrote:

Anyone have experience with mice getting in via water heater? Not the tank itself, but where the water lines come in?
No, mine climb the shore cord to be greeted by a dollop of peanut butter for their last meal.

* This post was last edited 03/22/21 12:25pm by 2oldman *   View edit history

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been seeing a lot of people using string lighting on the ground around the perimeter of their RV. Apparently the rodents shy away from lights at night.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

ADK Camper

New york

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spray foam to keep rodents out may not be effective because they can knaw through it. Steel wool quickly rusts and needs to be replaced. I've had good luck using stainless steel scouring pads from the dollar store. You can tease the pad apart which will give you a long tube. Then wrap it around plumbing or wiring until it fills the hole. The hardest part is finding all the possible entry points and even harder sometimes to access tthem. As a back up I put some glue pads and poison bait out. So far this winter nothing has been trapped, no bait has been eaten, and no other evidence of mouse activity.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These sound like all reasonable repairs for a mobile RV repair service. Shops are so backed up right now, your trailer could get stuck there a LONG time.

The shower leak is the hardest to tackle. When this happened on my weekend warrior, I also couldn’t find it, and there was no access. The mobile tech ended up adding a service panel to the inside of the enclosure, which I liked because it made future repairs possible.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/21 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ADK Camper wrote:

Spray foam to keep rodents out may not be effective because they can knaw through it. Steel wool quickly rusts and needs to be replaced. I've had good luck using stainless steel scouring pads from the dollar store. You can tease the pad apart which will give you a long tube. Then wrap it around plumbing or wiring until it fills the hole. The hardest part is finding all the possible entry points and even harder sometimes to access tthem. As a back up I put some glue pads and poison bait out. So far this winter nothing has been trapped, no bait has been eaten, and no other evidence of mouse activity.

Never had them gnaw through the spray foam and we inspect bi-annually.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/21 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something to consider for those extended 6 week trips... you can find a lot of parts online and have them shipped to your current or next stop.

I almost did that last year when we were at Yellowstone and I had tow dolly strap that was starting to wear out in the wrong place. Didn't have an extra day in case they missed the delivery estimate.

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

InTheRockies

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/21 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lane hog: yes, that's something I could do when on longer trips for sure. As each issue with the RV crops up, I find I learn more about DIY and get more comfortable attempting things myself. Also might keep some more spare parts on hand for things that are prone to failure and/or in order to make rudimentary/temporary repairs to tide me over while on the road.

2019 Forest River Cherokee Grey Wolf 17BHSE
2006 Ram 1500 SLT Sport 5.7L Hemi, CC, 6.5' box

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/21 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A roll of Eternabond, some pan headed screws, and aluminum tape go a long way on making a field repair... [emoticon]

Two years ago, I replaced a water heater, something I'd probably have never attempted had there not been a YouTube video walking me thru every step.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Bringing Trailer in for Service - Need Advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.