Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Battery & electrical questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Battery & electrical questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2014 Coachmen 21QB on a Chevy 4500 chassis, with an Onan 4KW generator.

*Does the generator have its own starting battery? If so, how is this battery charged? Or does the generator crank off the chassis battery? (I'm assuming it doesn't crank off the house battery, as that would kind of defeat the point of having a generator.)

*Does the generator charge the chassis battery?

*Does the chassis alternator charge the house battery? If so, how well?

*Does the battery isolator switch completely isolate the house battery and chassis battery from each other?

*Does the converter charge the chassis battery when the RV is plugged into shore power?

*On the side of the engine compartment, there is a 200 amp fuse. What is this for?

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/21 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“On the side of the engine compartment, there is a 200 amp fuse. What is this for?”

Less than 200 amps! lol

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

I have a 2014 Coachmen 21QB on a Chevy 4500 chassis, with an Onan 4KW generator.

*Does the generator have its own starting battery? If so, how is this battery charged? Or does the generator crank off the chassis battery? (I'm assuming it doesn't crank off the house battery, as that would kind of defeat the point of having a generator.)

Most generators do use the coach batteries for their starting power, at least in my limited experience. Disable your coach batteries, and try to start the generator, as a test.

coolmom42 wrote:

*Does the generator charge the chassis battery?

No, usually.

coolmom42 wrote:

Yes, usually. Depends on the alternator amperage, ambient temperature, and size of the bettery bank to be charged. In general, I've always found it decent, if you drive enough between coach battery usage.

coolmom42 wrote:

*Does the battery isolator switch completely isolate the house battery and chassis battery from each other?
It's usually a diode (one way only) switch that allows simmultanoeus charging of all batteries, but that won't allow the coach battery system to borrow power from the chassis battery, so you (in theory) won't kill your starting battery by drawing power fromm it to run the coach 12V DC loads.

coolmom42 wrote:

*Does the converter charge the chassis battery when the RV is plugged into shore power?
Usually, yes.
EDIT: As per Matt, usually no. My bad.

coolmom42 wrote:

*On the side of the engine compartment, there is a 200 amp fuse. What is this for?
No idea. Sorry.

This is anecdotal info based on motorhomes I've owned, and my experience and understanding of their power systems, and your questions.

* This post was edited 03/21/21 08:59pm by MDKMDK *

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coolmom,

Mike had good answers, except for one. That one is easily checked.

I have seen very few (like 2) coaches without modification, that charged the chassis battery from shore power.

This can be added if you find you need it.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

Coolmom,

Mike had good answers, except for one. That one is easily checked.

I have seen very few (like 2) coaches without modification, that charged the chassis battery from shore power.

This can be added if you find you need it.

Matt

You're right. My bad, on charging chassis battery.
As I said, "if I understand your questions".
Missed one. [emoticon]

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

The genny rarely has its own starting battery. Stand alone generators such as the Champion 3400 do. But not the Onan.

coolmom42 wrote:

*Does the generator charge the chassis battery

Sometimes. Some designs are powered from the chassis battery for starting, others may use the house batteries. If it is does not, it is easy to add a Trik-L-Start.

coolmom42 wrote:

Yes, but not very well. A great upgrade is a dc to DC charger.

coolmom42 wrote:

Usually.

coolmom42 wrote:

Not usually. There are several many solutions to this, such as the Trik-L-Start.

coolmom42 wrote:

Here are the three words men don't like to say.

I don't know

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She probably meant a 20a fuse?

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 12:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

The RV is at a dealer right now, or I would go check. But I am 99% sure it said 200.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the chassis battery starting the generator.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 01:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Odds are, the connection between the chassis and coach systems is made with a electric solenoid/relay. Sometimes diodes are used but I do know Winnebago uses relays, and so do some other manufacturers. It is open, separating the systems until you start the engine, then a special key on circuit energizes the solenoid. If you have a "boost" switch that allows you to jump start the chassis engine from the house/coach batteries, you can depress it and listen for the solenoid. That is the reason for using the solenoid, it can carry the heavy starting loads that a diode would not be able to, and its probably cheaper also.

Charles

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/21 02:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

wopachop wrote:

The RV is at a dealer right now, or I would go check. But I am 99% sure it said 200.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the chassis battery starting the generator.

At a dealer ? Why can't dealer answer your questions ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Battery & electrical questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.