Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Battery & electrical questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Battery & electrical questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Cole Hersee style 200 amp is normally stocked at NAPA.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/21 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our previous 1995 Coachmen Catalina Class A had a 200 amp fuse in the line from the house battery to the Onan generator. I didn't know it existed until the starter failed with a shorted winding and popped it. Tracing back to find out why no 12 volts from the battery finally found it tucked away in the battery compartment.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking that POSSIBLY the generator starts off the chassis battery--because one day I couldn't get the generator to start (think I just didn't prime it enough the first time) and cranked it multiple times with no luck. Then the chassis battery turned out to be dead, as in it wouldn't start the vehicle. As soon as I got the chassis battery jumped, and the engine going, the generator started right up.

So my thinking was that I ran the chassis battery down in attempts to start the generator. Still not sure if that's what happened.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/21 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42,

It sounds to me as if the genny is starting from the chassis battery.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/21 11:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

I'm thinking that POSSIBLY the generator starts off the chassis battery--because one day I couldn't get the generator to start (think I just didn't prime it enough the first time) and cranked it multiple times with no luck. Then the chassis battery turned out to be dead, as in it wouldn't start the vehicle. As soon as I got the chassis battery jumped, and the engine going, the generator started right up.

So my thinking was that I ran the chassis battery down in attempts to start the generator. Still not sure if that's what happened.

FWIW, I think that my Itasca's coach batteries start the built-in Onan generator ... not the Ford's chassis battery.

Sometimes I charge the coach batteries via a little portable generator powering an external charger. I attach the charger's output cable allligator clips onto the Onan's starter power lugs that have 8 gauge cables on them leading underneath the coach floor headed straight for the coach batteries on the other side of the coach.

When I start the little generator the coach battery bank ammeter jumps right up, indicating that the coach batteries are receiving current from the external charger being powered by the portable generator. Hence, the coach batteries are wired to the Onan's starter via the 8 guage cables.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/21 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

I think I would prefer the generator starts from the chassis battery. Only trick is you need to make sure when the generator is running that the chassis battery is getting recharged.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/21 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I think I would prefer the generator starts from the chassis battery. Only trick is you need to make sure when the generator is running that the chassis battery is getting recharged.

I don't think it makes a huge difference in practice (assuming, as you mention, that whatever battery the generator runs from is charged when it is running). If the generator starts/runs from the house battery, and the house battery is sufficiently discharged that it can't start the generator, then starting the main engine of the motorhome will connect the batteries so the alternator can charge the house battery and the generator should then be able to start without much difficulty off of the combination of the dead house battery, the not dead chassis battery, and the engine alternator.

Ideally, of course, you shouldn't let any battery discharge so far that it is incapable of starting the generator.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/21 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE's post above is why I have this boondock camping non-sun-dependent Plan C: If for some completely unforeseen and unfortunate reason both the coach battery bank and chassis battery should be low at the same time, we carry along a small portable generator that is pull started and can be used via a small stand-alone charger to charge coach and/or chassis batteries.

Being stranded way out there in a MH with no tow vehicle would be no fun. I've never yet experienced it, but don't have to in order to not want to.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/21 10:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

By starting the engine, you then had the engine's alternator powering and charging all of the batteries, both the chassis and coach, so there is no telling at that point.

Charles

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/21 11:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

The Cole Hersee style 200 amp is normally stocked at NAPA.

While some stores may stock the 24213, the web site makes it appear that it is a warehouse item for me at least. In any case, its $15 or more higher than Amazon delivering it to my door.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TWR24213........pressionRank=39&keywordInput=cole+hersee

Charles

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Battery & electrical questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.