cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Loooow Inventory

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, the dealers in my area have the lowest inventory I have ever seen, and I'm a retired car hauler. I know there is a problem with chips, but right now each dealer may have only 1 or 2 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks in stock. The bulk of the dealers lot is empty. Is it like this everywhere, just wondering.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life
20 REPLIES 20

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Glad we're not in the market today at these prices. Bought our 2015 new, got 56,000 miles, mostly camping miles. Lots of miles left in it ... Just bought new shoes for it, changed the oil, and did maintenance on the camper and truck. We'll be all hot to trot and ready to go soon as we make up our minds.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad I got my truck when I did as well. According to blue book and what I see on Autotrader I can more than likely sell or trade in my truck for what I paid for it a year and a half ago. Of course if I did that I'd have to pay top dollar for something else lol.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
dealer lots around here are just about void of 3/4 and one ton trucks but a few 1/2's.
My DIL just sold her 10 year old 2500 GMC Dmax/A crew cab 4wd loaded with options for 38k bucks. The truck was used very little and had only 50800 miles on the odo.

I'm astounded at what my old '03 2500 Quad cab Dodge/Cummins NV5600 2wd 3.73 gears with 350k+ miles on the odo is worth on the current market. I'm tempted to sell...almost.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lantley wrote:
The shortage is not by design. There are numerous supply chain problems through all industries not just autos. Wake up and smell the coffee

Not to mention, there is no way that all the competing factors here would be able to agree on a single plan, let alone stick to it.

Even if by some miracle all the auto manufacturers agreed to keep inventory low because it was somehow benefiting them, how long do you think it would be before one of them "blinked?"

There's too much money at stake and not one of these manufacturers would hesitate to stab any other, or all the others, in the back should the opportunity arise.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Supply chains have been disrupted across nearly all industries. I had an HVAC repair that was problematic due to a shortage of pvc. Look in drug store aisles and you can readily see that certain medicinal ointments, creams etc are not available and are on back order. So many suppliers ramped up on "covid" supplies...you can find hand sanitizer and masks by the case but good luck finding more mundane items. Heck, last year landscapers were struggling to get trees to plant!!

Hopefully things will ease up this year.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Anyone really think this "shortage" is not by design?
If so you have rocks in your head.

It may have started due to Covid related supply disruptions at whatever level, and current electronic parts shortages are involved, but dealers took all of that and enhanced it to their own benefit.

They're keeping on site inventory low purposely so they can get top dollar. They don't care if a serious buyer attempts to negotiate and walks, as they know a sucker will come along soon enough and pay the price.

Its not going to change anytime soon, if ever, so get used to it. Now if we get a huge recession, which with the current folks in charge and wanting to spend money like it grows on trees has a much better than average chance of happening, then all bets are off.

The only thing that can change it is demand dropping like a stone.

The shortage is not by design. There are numerous supply chain problems through all industries not just autos. Wake up and smell the coffee
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:

It may have started due to Covid related supply disruptions at whatever level, and current electronic parts shortages are involved, but dealers took all of that and enhanced it to their own benefit.

They're keeping on site inventory low purposely so they can get top dollar. They don't care if a serious buyer attempts to negotiate and walks, as they know a sucker will come along soon enough and pay the price.

Its not going to change anytime soon, if ever, so get used to it. Now if we get a huge recession, which with the current folks in charge and wanting to spend money like it grows on trees has a much better than average chance of happening, then all bets are off.

Guess I have rocks in my head. Why the F would auto makers give up billions in sales to make millions in sales?

So they sell 100,000 trucks for top dollar and thats better than selling 500,000 with variable profit margins. Most plants are shutting down or slowing down because they can't get chips or seat foam etc. And thats by design?

Sounds like more of that silly Q stuff to me.

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:

So I think all OEMs would like a little less "shortage". So maybe pebbles, definitely not rocks.

And yes, a drop in demand would be the only thing to grow inventory.

My local Chevy dealership can't keep inventory on the lot... it sells. Used, new...doesn't matter. Some parts are harder to get than others. Took awhile to do a PS hose...but the reman transmission came in fairly quick. I don't know about other dealerships...but mine is going above and beyond to help their customers.

Demand is stunning though... I recently saw a old Tahoe with 119k miles for $30,000 and change. My 2004 Silverado has over 370K...we've replaced so much on it that it's relatively "new". It's very popular at the dealership. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:

So I think all OEMs would like a little less "shortage". So maybe pebbles, definitely not rocks.

And yes, a drop in demand would be the only thing to grow inventory.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I guess it's like the rv's right now. Ok to sell, but not to buy.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, DH and I were just talking about renting a vehicle and driving to Michigan! Kinda like trout fishing... hang out and see what floats by!

It's pretty sporadic here.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Can't recall the last time I bought off lot. Have been ordering vehicles for years. If I get a salesman that says "I found a car/truck in**** close to what you want. " i walk. If I spend 40 to 50 grand on a automobile I get what I want not something they want to sell.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of dealers lots around here look like empty parking lots.