cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sharp reverse turn with Equl-i-zer hitch?

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
I posted in the fall about damaging my Dual Cam hitch by reversing at a very sharp angle. In order to back into my driveway I need to backup at as sharp an angle as possible. Can this be done without unhitching an Equal-i-zer hitch? Thanks.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS
2020 Silverado LTZ Crew, 5.3 Max Trailering Pkg.
23 REPLIES 23

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
If one does not need the "weight distribution features" the bars provide, then why connect them for short moves? I relocate my TT about 3-4 times a year on the property, I just drop the tongue on the hitch ball and TCB (Aretha Freanklin, Respect). While backing, I must negotiate a sharp jackknife-like turn to square the TT away.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm another that has to do a 90 degree backing with about a 15% grade to get into my driveway. I always pull up straight with my house, hop out and disconnect my bar's and then jack knife it and back up my driveway.

Main reason for removing the bar's is with them on the rear of my trailer would hit the driveway, without them on it gives the trailer a lot more play to move with the grade.
2009 Ford F350 V10 4.10 FX4 Crew Cab SRW, Timbrens, Leer Topper

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
'tiredTeacher wrote:
Do you remove (or not install) the bars when pulling out of the driveway? How is pulling out different from backing in?

For the first couple trips on our sharp turn drive, I did just that -- removed the bars. Now I don't worry about it, and the hitch is just fine albeit noisy.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher wrote:
I'm no trying to be a smart ass. I've just noticed folks look at backing as a separate maneuver from driving forward. Isn't it the same path for the wheels? Do you remove (or not install) the bars when pulling out of the driveway? How is pulling out different from backing in?

Teach
Generally one will not obtain as sharp of an angle going forwards.
I had one TV TT lashup that could make contact when making a U turn going forwards. It was my first setup. A 1973 blazer towing a 24'prowler. That was not a very good setup for towing though. The short wheelbase that allowed the contact in a U turn, also made for a pretty unstable tow. It was long before the internet, and one generally learned such things then from experience.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
You need an Oldsmobile Tornado.

I'm old enough to have seen that commercial on TV and it was a Toronado.
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
I'm no trying to be a smart ass. I've just noticed folks look at backing as a separate maneuver from driving forward. Isn't it the same path for the wheels? Do you remove (or not install) the bars when pulling out of the driveway? How is pulling out different from backing in?

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
Once when backing into an uphill camp site, the bars took so much weight off the rear tires of the TV that it lost traction part way up. Had to roll back down and remove bars first.

You need an Oldsmobile Tornado.

RHasse
Explorer
Explorer
MikeDupont wrote:
Wow, all these years with a Equalizer and i didnt realize i had a problem until now. Maybe i dont back up at what you all are referring to as a 'sharp' angle.

Same here...

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do a 90* backup turn into my driveway off a state highway, and never remove the bars on my DC...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, all these years with a Equalizer and i didnt realize i had a problem until now. Maybe i dont back up at what you all are referring to as a 'sharp' angle.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Husky Centerline TS with 1200 lb bars for a 10k car hauler. I use the trailer to carry my blue tractor in and around muddy construction work sites and off road in and around farm/ranch pastures. Lots of sharp backing/going forward with truck off angle to the trailer and never a issue.
The trailer has 8860 or 9420 lbs on the axles depending on tractor implements and where the load is placed on the trailers deck.

The Husky Centerline TS looks like and works like the Equalizer brand other than the Husky is a round bar hitch that flattens at one end.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
"I too need to make a sharp turn and at an angle when backing my TT at the house. I simply remove the WD bars and do what I need to do."

I have the same issue with a sharp turn into the driveway. I have a great pull through place to pull the bars off about a mile from home and do so... Then No Problem.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd remove the EQ bars before making that manuver. I've had to take the bars off only twice backing in. Once when backing into an uphill camp site, the bars took so much weight off the rear tires of the TV that it lost traction part way up. Had to roll back down and remove bars first. The other problem is not being able to disconnect one of the bars when the TV is tipped at an angle from the TT. Simply cannot get the downhill side bar off the "L" bracket. Finally disconnected chains, electrical & emergency brake and raised TT off of ball and pulled forward, bar came off with a loud bang. Nothing hurt.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Once parked will you relieve tension on the bars? If that's the case I would use the electric jack to lift the tongue enough to slide the bars off the brackets.

I do that to my trailer when I get to the neighborhood. Cant be more than 30 seconds.